Thursday, June 2, 2011

Lettuce Wraps

First of all the base for this recipe is originally from my friend Mollie :) Thanks again Mol!


Second, I am posting this especially for my sisters. Now you guys can look up the post when you need the recipe and just save your calls for telling me how much you love and miss me :)

Anyways, we make these not quite every week, but close. I usually make a ton and then we eat the leftovers for lunch. My kids LOVE THEM!

This is a very "throw it together"/"to taste" recipe. It is also a "whatever you have on hand" recipe. If you don't have bok choy on hand, It will still taste good. I think I even threw some cabbage in one time and it tasted great. I did not have bok choy this time, but I do love the flavor so I recommend trying it if you haven't before.

What you need:
GROUND TURKEY- Tonight I used 1 pound ( I usually brown 2 pounds at once. I take out 1/2 -3/4 of a pound and then wait to see how much I want to put back in, if any. Browned ground turkey freezes well so if I decide to save it for later, I can grab it out of the freezer and throw it into spaghetti sauce or chili at a later date. Remember there are 6 of us) 

SHREDDED COCONUT I used about 1/4 cup

BROWN RICE or whatever you have works great. Tonight it's Jasmine rice for us. For a big batch of this I'd start with at least 1.5 cups of uncooked rice. More if you want to also serve it on the side. I have also used Quinoa before.

CARROTS- I peel them and then use the peeler to add the carrot to the mixture
BOK CHOY- Chopped
CHOPPED PEANUTS - I used about 1/4 cup
YOSHIDA'S It soaks up a lot so keep adding until it tastes good. I used about 1 cup.
GREEN ONION- If you like it. I do not :)



Brown the turkey, drain

Add Shredded Coconut. These cups are 1/2 cup but I used about half of that. My husband Joe, HATES coconut, but doesn't even realize it is in there, It cooks down and just adds great flavor. Even if you aren't a fan, I suggest trying it, at least once :)

Chop Peanuts. You can sometimes find them already chopped in the section with ice cream sundae stuff.

Again I used about 1/4 cup so half of what is shown.

Add peanut

Peeled Carrots this is only part of 1 carrot, but do however much you like! I could have done more. This is also when you would add the bok choy if you are doing so. 


I usually start the rice at the same time as the meat so it's ready when I need it. 
I used 1 cup of Yoshidas
(so 2 full ones of those)

Combine turkey mixture with cooked rice and Yoshidas. It's ready to eat!


I give each of us a bowl with our own helping of the filling. I usually put the lettuce in a big bowl in the center.  Tonight we had green leaf, butter lettuce is really good though and most times I just use Romaine heads. 






This sweet red chili sauce! I have only found it at Costco. You may be able to find it at your market. We have tried other sweet red chili sauces-different brands-not the same. This is the YUMMIEST!

No comments: