Saturday, July 16, 2011

BBQ Ribs

Whereas Joe and I are still trying to perfect our slow cooked, smoked ribs, we still make these when we don't have 6 hours and overnight planning. I bought ribs this afternoon for dinner, so we're making them like my Mama taught me, well kind of :) Sorry Mom we changed it a little.
When Joe came home at 16 and went on and on to his mom about how amazing these ribs were. She immediately called my mom for the recipe. It has been a staple in their house on birthdays and for summer dinners since. It really could be the reason Joe fell in love with me, or just my mom's cooking. I don't care now. Her cooking may have peaked his interest as a hungry teenage boy...But I kept him interested :) That may be part of the reason I strive to be a good cook myself :)

WHAT YOU NEED:

-I always use Pork Baby Back Ribs. But that is just my personal preference. I find Spare ribs to be too fatty for me. I got 2 full racks for Joe, the 4 kids and I and I think we only had maybe 5 leftover.
-We are Sweet Baby Ray's Barbeque Sauce Family. I had some but not enough so I used leftover of some other kind and I could tell which had Sweet Baby Rays and which had the other. It just wasn't quite as yummy.
-Quick Rub ingredients: Use any or all of these ingredients. My mom has always just used salt and pepper.
Paprika (Sweet and Smoked)
Garlic Powder
Kosher Salt
Fresh Ground Pepper
Chili Powder
Ground Cumin
Brown Sugar

Step 1: Removing the membrane on the underside of the ribs. I apologize if this is too gross but it's a necessary step. If you are easily geeked out. Grab your ribs but ask someone in the meat department to do this step for you and re-wrap them. They'll totally do it.

 
I score the skin with a paring knife and then it usually pulls off pretty easily. 
 
NOTE: If you buy your ribs at Costco, they usually already have done this step. I mutilated a few racks of ribs once TRYING to get what I thought was this skin off, and realized it was already off too little too late :) Oh Well. When in doubt just ask :)

Step 2: I cut the full racks into Half racks they are easier to maneuver on the grill.

 I pretty much always put foil on my trays when dealing with raw meat.
Step 3: Gather your rub ingredients and preheat oven to 350-375 degrees
 I just sprinkle a little of this and a little of that on. I know that doesn't help those of you who like measurements but you can kind of see they aren't fully coated here. I usually start with salt and pepper. And end with A LITTLE brown sugar. Don't put too much brown sugar on. It will cause them to burn.
 Flip over the racks and repeat dry rub on the other side.
Step 4:  Place on the grill.
Our grill is broken (someone may or may not have forgotten to turn off the gas while grilling one night and she thought that she turned all the dials to off, but apparently the last one didn't click off, and the BBQ may or not have been on for 3 days, AND she is very lucky she didn't burn down her house and that her husband did not murder her upon finding out that his BBQ was totally fried.) I am not sure who that was but she was really stupid not to double check that everything was off. Yikes :/ ANYWHO. All the flames come out the back part of our grill now so we grill everything towards the front. You are going to finish these in the oven so you don't want to do them until they're totally done on the grill or they will get too dry. Grill them for at most 20 minutes or less. You really just want to get them nice and brown. We did ours a little too long last night, but they were still good.
 Step 5: Cut the ribs up and toss with Barbeque sauce. Place in the oven. You could cover them with foil if you want. That will kind of steam them a little. They get nice and saucy that way too. AT 350 they could be in the oven for up to an hour but start checking them after 40 minutes to check for doneness.

 

Basic Coleslaw- 
Start with one bag of Coleslaw cabbage. Usually found in the bagged salad area of your produce section.


I put 2-3 nice size spoonfuls of mayo
 This is my tiny sugar scoop. It was my Nana's :) It equals a teaspoon. I did about 5 scoops of sugar.
 I like the taste of vinegar. You can use red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar. I used apple cider last night. And I am sorry to say I have no idea how much I put on. I just kind of sprinkle, sprinkle, stir, taste, sprinkle, sprinkle, stir, taste kind of thing. If you aren't a big vinegar fan. You can do a little vinegar and then use apple juice to add to the wetness and sweetness.
 I salt and pepper to taste.
 Joe is always my taste tester. He was not happy about getting his photo taken :)


 We got really good corn in my delivery this last week. It was delicious!
 Can I just say my dad has always put Tabasco sauce on his corn but I am a Frank's Red Hot fan! Butter, salt, pepper, and Franks! Muy Bueno!
 CARNIVORE!

  More dinner on her belly, then in her belly :)

No comments: