Sunday, August 7, 2011

Potato Salad- NOT low fat :)

 
This potato salad is all the good things I love, potato, mayo, bacon, pickles, hard boiled eggs and paprika. It is so yummy that it is a staple at my mom's catering company and my friend loves it SO much that I make it for her every year for her birthday, her very own big bowl that she eats for breakfast, lunch and dinner for 5 days straight :)

 Wash your potatoes, I use an entire 5 pound bag and this makes enough for a big group.
Put the potatoes in a stock pot and cover in water. I usually have about an inch of water over the top of the potatoes. Cover.
 Bring to a boil and let boil until...
 ...you can pierce the potato with a skewer and it slides of easily.


 
  I set all the potatoes but a few on a cookie sheet in a single layer and put them in the fridge to cool.
 
 Nice and steamy!
 The reason I kept three in the pot of water after I turned it off, is because I like to have some more defined chunks but also some real mashed ones too. I left these in the pot for over an hour, while I ran :)

 
I peel the skins off the potatoes it's not the end of the world if there is some pieces of skin left. Just most of it being gone is fine. Especially with Russet Potatoes.

 


 I take a pound of bacon and slice it like this and then throw it in a frying pan. It cooks way faster, just be sure to watch it, because it cooks faster, it can burn very quickly. As I almost found out. 

 Slice and chop your peeled potatoes into bit size pieces.

 Dice and chop 5 hard boiled eggs
 Throw your potatoes, eggs, bacon bits and...

 ...chop your pickles
 Add them to the bowl.
 I forgot to take a picture- but I add 1 cup of mayo and about a 1/4 cup or more if you like sour cream 
 Kosher Salt- I actually added a couple handfuls this big.
 Freshly ground pepper

Check if you need more salt and pepper. Taste it, then wait a little while and taste it again. The longer it sits the more the flavors meld. The better it tastes so don't go crazy with the salt all at once. Hey it's a great excuse to keep taste testing.

I also love paprika! So I add paprika maybe a couple teaspoons, less or more if you like it like me :)

So to recap-You need:

(1) 5 pound bag of potatoes
5 hard-boiled eggs
9 or so baby dill pickles
1 pound of bacon
1 cup of mayo
1/4 cup or so sour cream
1-2 tsp of paprika
Freshly ground Pepper and Kosher Salt to taste

Sometimes I add a little bit of mustard as well, but I forgot today :)

ENJOY!

No comments: