Friday, November 4, 2011

In honor of my Nana...Hungarian Layer Potatoes

 8 years ago today my beloved Nana passed away. I try not to focus on this day because I would prefer to think of her life and birth, but inevitably I remember every year. She was the woman that we all thought would live past 100. At 82 it was just way to soon. It was quick and unexpected, but we were all there surrounding her loving her and praying for her quick trip to heaven when she left this life. It is a moment and day that I will never forget. It was devastating and beautiful all at the same time. I miss her every single day...but every time I make one of her meals I feel her with me. Guiding me...teaching me...loving me.

So now our family favorite is yours...Here's what you need:
Boiled Russet Potatoes
Hard Boiled eggs
Ham
Sour Cream
Salt & Pepper
Butter 
Breadcrumbs

NOTE: I used 7 medium sized potatoes, maybe 4 or 5 hard boiled eggs, almost 2 16 oz. sour creams (gasp), and 1/2 pound of ham. This filled my 4 inch deep by 9 in. diameter casserole dish and a smaller dish for my parents. If that helps you figure out  how much you need.

These first few steps you can do earlier in the day, you can even make this ahead and put it in the fridge until you are ready to bake it. Sooo...

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.

Boil your potatoes until you can pierce it with a skewer and it falls off easily
 Hard Boil your eggs. Chill in cold water. Peel them
 I bought this 2 pound already cooked boneless ham. It was perfect. You could also buy a ham steak if desperate ham deli meat may work :)
 It is best to cool your potatoes before you peel, but if your in a hurry...go for it.
Peel away :)
 Butter your dish
 Slice potatoes
 Also slice your eggs and chop your ham
 Put down a layer of potatoes in the bottom
 Put down some eggs
 Then ham
 Salt and Pepper it and then butter, yes that is butter slices. Yum and Yikes
Now take sour cream, as my mom did this she laughed and said, this is not for the faint of heart :)
 Scoop it on and spread it around. This is not as easy as it seems.
 Once spread, repeat the whole process, until your dish is full or where you want it. When you get it to the top. Do your last layer of sour cream and then top with breadcrumbs
 Bake until golden and bubbly. It took around 30 minutes on convection
 Serve it by the steamy hot spoonful

 You can omit the ham and serve as a side dish, or keep the ham and serve it as a meal. That is what we did, notice the giant salad with low fat balsamic dressing sitting next to it. It's all about balance...Sort of :)

 Thank you Nana for your beautiful life and the beautiful food that filled our days and now fills my memories. 
I love you always!


No comments: