Tuesday, May 29, 2012

B. L. T. A. Wedge Salad with Creamy Gorgonzola Dressing (Home Made!)


Oh My Yum! I have been craving this for weeks. I have been really interested in dabbling in home made dressings. I called my mom yesterday morning to help me investigate a dressing I had at the Islander in Mercer Island. She came up with an option on the Food TV website and after loking it over as well as a few others I came up with this recipe. I hope you like it! I made a wedge salad using Butter Lettuce
Iceberg Lettuce
Bacon (however many pieces you need for your family)
Cherry or Grape Tomatoes-Halved
Croutons (I made mine:) 
Avocado-Chopped
Dressing

For the Creamy Gorgonzola You need:
1/2 cup of Mayo
1/2 cup of Sour cream 
6-7 TBSP of Buttermilk- I started with about 4 TBSP*
2 TBSP of fresh herb - I had chives, parsley thyme and Dill*
A few shakes of Hot Sauce- I used Tapatio-
4 oz. of Gorgonzola Crumbles (You could use regular blue cheese as well) 
Kosher Salt and Fresh Ground Pepper- To taste ( I used about a tsp. of each.)
About a TBSP of Lemon juice*
*After tasting it I decided it need a little more Dill. I added about a TBSP extra. I added 2-3 TBSP more of Buttermilk, the lemon juice and a few more shakes of Hot Sauce.

I threw in all of the ingredients reserving about an ounce of the Gorgonzola to add after it was blended.

I used Butter Lettuce. Pulling the leaves off from the base and layering them with iceberg lettuce.
I baked the bacon on a cookie sheet at 375 degrees. Flipping it when it was browned on one side. Then draining it on a paper towel when it was all done.
 
I had stale bread so I cut up the remainder of my loaf and put it on my grill sheet.
Spraying it liberally with Olive Oil Spray
Sprinkling Fresh Ground Pepper
and Coarse Sea Salt
I put them on our grill Smoker and gave them a spray as they grilled. BE CAREFUL of spraying around open flames. We didn't have one at this time.
Take them off when they are golden.
"Can I have one Mom?"
My immersion blender comes with a slick measuring cup. I added everything right into it. So very little mess to clean up.
Sour Cream and Mayo.
Salt and Pepper
Hot Sauce
Shake shake shake :)
Fresh Herbs from my garden minced and the Gorgonzola
Immersion Blender in! This thing rocks!
After the taste test I added more Hot Sauce and buttermilk. We like it a little thinner.
The lemon Juice, It was a juicy lemon so it didn't take too big a slice
I loved the dill flavor and wanted more so I added the extra TBSP. Just keep tasting the dressing as you go. 
After it was all blended and tasted great I added the remaining crumbles and just stirred them in. That gave it a chunkiness but it wasn't too chunky.
Here is my Butter lettuce/Iceberg lettuce layer
I put it in a shallow bowl, drizzling the dressing over it.
Add your croutons, tomato slices, avocado and bacon bits
enJOY!

No comments: