Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Orange Marmalade Glazed Flank Steak with Roasted Corn Salad

Rocco Dispirito made this on Good Morning America last summer. We have now made it many times and because of this recipe I try to keep orange marmalade on hand. Everything else I pretty much have. I kind of tweak it to make it work if I don't.


 Gather your ingredients: 

(1) 12-ounce jar orange marmalade,
1/2 cup red wine vinegar- I only had 1/3 cup of red wine so I added cider vinegar to make it a 1/2 cup
1 tablespoon chili powder
I also added at least a teaspoon of cumin maybe even a little more. Because I love it!
2 tablespoons A1 steak sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard - I only had coarse ground mustard and yellow mustard, so I combined them and then added 2 tablespoons
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
3 pounds flank steak
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

 Mix together the ingredients in  large bowl. Save 1 cup of the marinade for later
 Rocco says to marinate overnight, but lets face it I am pretty much never that organized. I marinated it for maybe 2 hours and it still had great flavor. Joe grilled it on our Traeger Smoker/Grill for at least half an hour, until it reached 150 degrees on an internal meat thermometer. I forgot to take a picture of it grilling, but I'm figuring you know what that looks like. Rocco's recipe says to "Preheat a grill. When it is too hot to hold your hand six inches above the grill for more than 5 seconds, it's ready. Remove the steak from the marinade and season both sides with salt and pepper. Grill until medium rare to medium, about 4 minutes on each side."

When your steak comes off the grill let it rest for at least 5 minutes. Then take your cup of marinade you saved and bring to a boil in a saucepan until it thickens. You can dip or drizzle it on the steak.


Now for the corn salad.

I threw this together because I couldn't find a recipe I liked. Sorry for the lack of measurements :)
This is what I used though...

corn on the cob 3-4 ears
red bell pepper
cucumber
cilantro
sweet onion
cotija cheese (feta would work too)
lemon juice or lime juice
cider vinegar a couple tablespoons
a drizzle of olive oil (to taste)
chili powder
cumin
salt and pepper to taste


There was a guilty little monster in the kitchen this evening:)
 A hungry little monster:)

 I took 4- make that 3 ears of corn and cut off the kernels
 Chopped one red bell pepper
 I heated up my pan until it was nice and hot with nothing in it. Then I put the corn in the pan. You could also leave it on the cob and grill it first and then cut it off for a different approach.
 I got the corn nice and toasty. It works best to let it sit for a minute and then stir it up so it doesn't char.
Add the red bell pepper
 Add chopped cucumber. I used three small cucumbers

 Add sweet onion. I chopped mine very very small so my kids wouldn't complain. I left it in the pan for a few minutes to combine the flavors, but not too long. I didn't want it to get too soft. 

Remove from pan. Crumble in Cotija Cheese

 Squeeze in some lemon or lime juice

 Add chopped Cilantro to taste. Drizzle on some olive oil.

This was such a yummy light summer meal. We had it with some leftover potato salad. There was not one bite of steak left and there is just enough corn salad for me tomorrow. I might mix it with some scrambled eggs for breakfast :)
Enjoy! 
Ashley

No comments: