Sunday, October 9, 2011

OKTOBERFEST at my house!

 
I was SO excited for brats in beer, fried potatoes, applesauce and sauerkraut. This is something my Nana used to make us.

BEER BOILED BRATS

First we poured 3 beers in a stockpot, added sliced onion, brought to a boil.

 
Then added garlic powder, paprika and red pepper flake, and brats. Boiled them for about 10 minutes-12 minutes.
 
Grill for about 10 minutes.
 
I made original brats and cheddar brats
 
A little ketchup and mustard. Delicious!


FRIED POTATOES
For the potatoes we added olive oil to a big flat pan and heated it. 
 Then threw in the sliced potatoes
 You need to have it be hot enough to fry the potatoes but not so hot that they burn. You need to let them cook just sitting there but also turn them here and there. Make sure they are thinly cut enough that they cook quickly if they are too thick they will burn before they are cooked through.
 Salt and Pepper the potatoes


 


SAUERKRAUT
Now for my favorite. If you want, you can just throw the jar stuff in the pot to heat... This is how we do it.

Heat olive oil in the pan. 
 Add chopped onion. This is the other half of the onion from our brats.
 You saute your onions until they begin to be translucent.
 
Here is the sauerkraut I used. It was really good.  But I have also used many kinds over the years.
 
Here is the paprika I used. REAL paprika direct from Hungary. My sis brought it for me, when she visited there this summer.
 We added this much paprika into the onions and cooked it with the onions for a few minutes.
 Can you tell when I'm cooking with my Mama :) No measurements :)
 Add the sauerkraut and stir around. Cook until is heated through.
 We added some of the onions to our plates. I think I will probably grill them with the brats next time. Or use different beer? They tasted really "beer-y?" I think if we would have grilled them, some of that flavor would have been cooked down a little. But all in all this meal was everything I wanted. YUM! Joe wanted salad too so we made some of that for him and our guests; my mom, Kathy and Trent! I drank a Pyramid Apricot Ale with dinner. It went Perfect! Thanks for the fun meal everyone!










No comments: