Thursday, July 21, 2011

Flat Iron Steak Wraps with Caramelized Onions and Blue Cheese Crumbles

 
These are a great dinner from scratch or an AWESOME way to use your leftover steak. If you have steak one night, make extra so you can have this later in the week. 

Caramelized Onions: This is how I do them. I have been told several times, this is not how other people make them, but I never hear any complaints once they are done :)

The key to MY caramelized onions is just to start with sliced onions, this was two large onions. Melt your butter, I used 1/4 cup of butter. Throw in the onion and saute for a few minutes. Throw on your brown sugar. I used a a little less then 1/2 a cup. I stir them up once and then I just let it sit and cook for probably 20 minutes or so. I shake the pan from time to time just to give it a mix. But you'll know it's done when they have shrank considerably and they are soft. You may like your a little crunchier so just don't cook them as much. Taste as much as you like, that's how you'll know they're done.

NOTE: Even if you think you HATE onions, I HIGHLY SUGGEST you try caramelized onions at least once. They are delectable ;)

My baked potatoes- I start them in the microwave, to give them a head start and then rub them with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt and ground pepper. Then bake them in the oven at 350 until they are done. My kids Hungarian blood comes through as they are eating them skins and all.



We, I mean Joe :) threw some olive oil, salt and pepper on the flat iron steak and grilled it until it was done. About 20 minutes. Check yours for preferred doneness. 145 degrees for medium rare. 150 medium and 155 medium well. The package may also give you cooking instructions, better then I  :)


 I like to cut up the steak into bite-size pieces. I hate when you bite into a wrap like this and you are pulling out huge pieces of steak.
You can get these from Costco and they are a really good deal. They also have them at the regular store. They are only 100 calories, 100% whole wheat and really yummy.
Blue Cheese Crumbles...YUMMY! I heat the wraps in the microwave like you would a tortilla. In a bag with a damp paper towel. For about 15-30 seconds depending on the power of your microwave. This is how my wraps go...
Steak...
Blue Cheese...
Caramelized onions...
Lettuce...
Obviously we are diggin' the wedge salad these days. I can't wait to run out of the dressing! It'll be like 
"BUH-BYE Big Blue Cheese! Bye to you and your 18 grams of fat per serving! SEE-YA!"
Until then. I LOVE YOU BLUE CHEESE!

No comments: