Sunday, October 9, 2011

In need of lunch inspiration...

 ...we had a taste test of some new options. 
Panini sandwiches. We made 2 options, one won out overall, but the other was MUCH more my speed! 
The kids vote is in the Pizza Panini is in their lunchboxes and HOPEFULLY still yummy cold, but we shall see. Here's the easy step by step. 


I bought this flat loaf of bread at the market. I sliced it in half both ways.
 

Sandwich #1 was a Caprese sandwich with pesto and chicken.
I love mayo but you don't have to put it on if you don't like it :)
 I spread a layer of mayo on both sides and then pesto on one, but should have done both.
 Then I sliced tomato SO THIN! and did a layer of that on one side and fresh basil on the other.
 
Next came sliced mozzarella and shredded chicken. This chicken was just from a rotisserie chicken I had in the fridge. 

 I sprayed my grill with olive oil spray, as well as the top of my sandwich. Actually I think I put it in upside down :) Not that it mattered.
  Apply pressure while it grills.
 Keegan was happy to help.

 YUM! YUM! YUM! My winner :)

 SANDWICH #2 and kid winner of the lunchbox challenge was the Pizza Panini

Same kind of bread. I used leftover red sauce from my meatballs the other night. Any sauce will work.
Next a layer of pepperoni and sliced mozzarella. If you like other pizza toppings throw anything on there. Canadian bacon and pineapple would be really yummy. As well as any peppers, olives, mushrooms, meats, whatever! The possibilities are endless.
For us the kids were pretty basic :)
 
Again sprayed the grill, as well as the sandwich with olive oil spray.

 The results Ooey and Gooey! Melty...Delicious!


No comments: