Monday, June 13, 2011

Everything but the kitchen sink CHILI!


 

Below is what I had leftover from our team barbeque Saturday night.
99% of me wanted to throw it away, as it was 10 o'clock at night and the last thing I wanted to do was wrap it up and/or clean it up. LIGHTBULB! What are tomatoes and onions the base for in our house?!?! CHILI!
 

 I chopped the onions and tomatoes and threw them together in a reusable container. 
Bagged up the lettuce for sandwiches and salads.
 My chili recipe is like most things I make- 
an outline. 
Adjust it to what you have on hand or like. 
This is what I used tonight! 
It made enough for a crowd. I had a ton left over. 
I will be sharing the leftovers with my family.

  • 1 pound stew beef (chopped smaller then it comes)
  • 1 pound ground turkey
  • 1 poblano pepper or pasilla pepper
  • 1 red bell pepper
  • 1 orange bell pepper
  • I probably had 2 tomatoes chopped
  • 1-1.5 onions chopped
  • 1 garlic clove
  • chili powder
  • cumin
  • paprika
  • smoked paprika
  • 1/2 cup of my flank steak glaze from the Orange glazed flank steak recipe.
  • 1 can corn
  • 1 can red kidney beans
  • 1 can black beans
  • 1 can great northern beans
  • 1 can butter beans
  • 3 cans of tomato sauce


 I chopped the stew meat up smaller then it came. Ideally if I had leftover flank steak from the other night I could have used that in here or really any steak or meat for that matter.


I browned the beef in a stock pot. It was pretty lean so I added olive oil so it didn't stick. I forgot to take a picture of that :)

 

Once the beef is almost all the way browned I threw in the ground turkey.  You can use ground beef if you like. We just ALWAYS have ground turkey on hand. Joe used to complain if I said I was going to make turkey anything. If seasoned right, I believe you can not taste the difference.


Get that all browned, then drain what little fat there is.

 

Seed and chop a poblano pepper

I removed the meat from the stock pot and saved it. I then added a little olive oil to the pot and threw in the Poblano. I sauted it a little bit and then threw in the tomato, onion, and bell peppers. I also threw in one clove of garlic. (My frozen garlic from Trader Joe's, of course :)


 I let the vegetables cook down a bit and then threw the meat back in. I like my chili a little fresher tasting so if you do too, do not cook it down too much. My kids and husband don't like a lot of chunks so cooking it down with the lid on helps it along a lot.



Add in your spices. OK here is where I am a horrible teacher. I measured how much I started putting in. BUT I did add a little to taste as the flavors melded. So here is what I started with. 

1/4 cup Chili Powder
2 Tablespoons of Cumin
1 teaspoon Dry Mustard 
1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
1 Tablespoon Paprika (we are Hungarian, we put Paprika in everything:)







Stir all in and cook on medium for a few minutes.

  
Get your cans open and ready. I am appalled by how much sodium is found in canned beans so I ALWAYS rinse them before I add them. The healthiest thing to do would be to soak dried beans overnight yourself, but seriously who has time to do that. You could also use low sodium beans if you want.


Add your beans and corn and tomato sauce. This is also when I used the 1/2 cup of orange marmalade flank steak glaze I had left over from the other night.


Stir it all in. I then put the lid on it and let it cook for as long as you need.
You could throw it all in your crock pot on low in the morning and enjoy it for dinner that night. The longer the chili cooks the more the flavors come together. Like I said though. I really love the chunks so it is also delicious and more nutritious to cook it less. Your peppers and veggies don't cook out as many nutrients.


Garnish with shredded cheese and sour cream. Serve with cornbread muffins and/or Saltines

ENJOY!

No comments: