Sunday, July 31, 2011

BBQ Chicken, Broccoli Slaw and Indian Corn

 
Great Easy Summer Dinner
 I was taught how to make Indian Corn by Papa Marion when we would camp at Leo Carrillo State Park in Malibu, California. I am convinced that even if the corn you get is sub par, cooking it this way makes ANY corn yummy. 
I clean up the corn by cutting the corn silk off with scissors and then cutting the bottom pretty much off. Then I pull off the first layer of skin. Once cleaned I soak in a sink full of water for at least 20 minutes. You can soak it longer if you want to do it ahead of time. Then we put it on the barbeque. When camping we did it on the campfire on a grill rack. I am sorry to say I  can't give you an exact amount of time it takes to grill, BUT I know it's done, when after turning it it looks like it does above. Leaving the skins on and soaking it creates a steaming effect. We put butter on a plate and let everyone roll they're corn in the butter. A little trick. Pull the skins down but not off. Use them as a handle! I put salt, pepper and Frank's Red Hot on it.When camping we'd soak it in coolers and it works great.
 I mixed one bag of already prepped broccoli slaw, and a regular bag of Cole slaw. Then I made the dressing like I do my regular Cole slaw. Good Helping of mayo, sugar and apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper to taste. For this though I added a couple handfuls of peppered bacon bits and chopped cheddar cheese. It tasted SO good! Joe ate it and liked it until I told him it was broccoli! He didn't even know :)

 I bought bone in chicken breasts, wings and drumsticks. We salt and peppered it then put it on the grill until it came to 180 in the wings and 170 in the breast. Toward the end we brushed on Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce. If you do it from the beginning it is more likely to burn.
 This is a horrible picture exposure wise, but the chicken still looks yummy :) We also had baked beans that we totally forgot about. Oops!

No comments: