Thursday, June 16, 2011

Ice cream for breakfast!

Delaney was at a sleepover, Keegan had a friend sleepover. 

I wake up at 8 am. Hmmm...house's still quiet. I'll just lay here in my cozy bed and read my magazine until they get up. Should be any minute...
8:30 still quiet...9 still quiet...Look at the clock 9:20! Still quiet! What is UP?!?! Maddie woke up at 9:40 Cam 9:45 Keegan and his friend 10! So wonderful!

First day of break: Breakfast request- Home made pancakes. Breakfast appetizer (see below) 

STRAWBERRY ICE CREAM
There is milk and eggs and fruit in it...right?

Go to make my home made pancakes:
Out of regular milk. Have buttermilk though
Look up buttermilk pancake recipe.
Ok great let's go. Follow the recipe, I think. 

Put the pancakes on the griddle, they puff up like they are going to be beautiful and then go flat actually flatter then a pancake :) Maybe too much baking powder? Keegan taste tests and God bless him, he tries to hide his weirded out face and says "No mom they are good, they just kind of feel....um...different in your mouth." I take a bite. They are cooked on the outside on the inside it seems kind of cooked but literally reminds me of that jelly stuff inside diapers. GROSS no way! Keegan we are not eating these! He tries to convince me that he likes them but I am not having it :) What a sweet guy. Trying to protect his Mama's feelings. How embarrassing to make such a sick mistake with a friend over. I start over. Fried eggs, English muffins and bacon. Thankfully we had our ice cream appetizer :) By the time we eat its after noon. Where did the morning go. Now I'm blogging instead of cleaning up. 

I have not had that many cooking disasters in my adult life. I can remember specifically maybe 3? Once I tried to make "beer butt chicken" for Joe's family and used table salt instead of Kosher salt. It was the saltiest dinner ever. It was sick and I was humiliated. One other time I took an enchilada casserole out of the oven and put it on the stove which I didn't realize was still on and a few seconds later CRACK! The whole plate shattered! "No glass is not a special ingredient!" In the trash, call for pizza. Another time I defrosted a pork tenderloin and I though it looked OK but was still not 100% sure it was. Baked it made a beautiful glaze for it. Took it out of the oven Started to slice it and NO :( It smelled wrong, I couldn't even convince myself to taste it. I'm sure I have had others but none too horrible. I can put buttermilk pancakes on the list now though.

We joke about my mom's one bad meal. I don't think she has ever had one before or since, but when I was about 10 my mom decided to make tempura from scratch. She started strong, chopping, slicing, dipping frying...8pm 9pm 10pm 11pm Midnight...we sit down for dinner. I remember we all dig in and are trying to be polite, she worked so hard after all, and then it was probably my mom herself who finally took her bite, and said UGH Gross. It really was! In the trash. After ALL that! I don't remember if we ordered pizza or ate cereal, but none of us have ever forgotten that meal :)

What is your cooking disaster?


2 comments:

Krista said...

Pancakes are my trouble area, too! I think maybe they are too easy? I can cook/bake with the best of 'em, but my pancakes usually look like little pillows so I don't make them anymore lol. But my worst happened this last Mother's day (of all the times to screw up!). I made Beef Wellington and lined the pan with wax paper instead of parchment. It smokes. Badly. I was so rattled by it that I actually YELLED at my poor mom to get out of the kitchen while I tried to rescue dinner. I managed to save it, but just barely. My husband STILL asks me if I'm going to "wax smoke" dinner lol! That is one mistake I will never make again!

Ashley said...

That is priceless! I think we should all get at least one good screw-up a year in the kitchen. That is not that bad an average if you think of how many meals you eat in a year :)