Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Garden Time...Finally

Here in Washington the summer is definitely not here yet. It has peaked its head in a few times lately but I feel it was just teasing us. Usually it doesn't really arrive until July 5th. But most of the time it is at least dry enough somewhere around the end of April beginning of May, in order for us Northwesterners to get our gardens in. I say that as if I am a seasoned gardener. In actuality I am a novice, this will be my sophomore garden.

Last year I planted the bulk of my starts and seeds the last week of April. I had radishes sprouting by the first week of May. I spent the summer fighting slugs, picking lettuce and sending my kids out for snacks they pulled and picked themselves. I am hooked! I absolutely loved it. I have waited somewhat patiently all winter for my chance to get back out there and start again. My loving husband even had my raised beds all weeded and ready for me the first week of May. Unfortunately Mother Nature was not on board. It has rained and rained and rained.

I live in a somewhat rural area and I like to guage my progress against local farmers personal gardens. I drive the same stretch every day and watch and wait for them to start. Last year I beat most of them out of the gate, and it looks like I might this year too. Even though I am just getting started and it's what June 8th! They have a better excuse then me. They can't run their equipment over the ground when it is saturated. I just don't like gardening in the pouring rain.

No excuses. I got some starts and I am planting them today! For anyone doing a garden you have to click this link to Gardener's Supply.

http://www.gardeners.com/Kitchen-Garden-Planner/kgp_home,default,pg.html

They have a really cool kitchen garden planner that tells you how many seeds and starts to put in a 12 in x 12 in square or 12 in pot. They tell you everything about 100's of vegetables and fruits, how, where and when to plant, how to care for and more. They have tons of info and great supplies. So check it out. Below is an example for some reason I can't get the grid to show up but if you want to see it go to the link. I am an over planner, and I LOVE lists. So this is a dream come true :)

I'll post garden pics when there's something to show!
Happy Planting,
Ashley

All American Garden-

A bountiful garden of easy-care favorites to please young and old alike. Fresh and juicy tomatoes, sweet peppers, green beans, broccoli, salad greens and more.






peppers, (1)

peppers

  • Start seeds indoors 1/4″ deep 10 to 12 weeks before last frost.
  • Transplant into garden three weeks after last frost or when soil reaches 70 degrees F.
  • Fruits are edible from early green to full-color maturity.
  • Spacing: one plant per sq. ft.
  • Days to harvest: 50 to 65 days green, 80 to 85 days to full color. Not frost-hardy.
  • Hint: Do not fertilize peppers. Water sparingly.
spinach, (9)

spinach

  • Plant seeds 1/2″ deep directly in garden up to six weeks before last frost.
  • Sow spinach every two weeks in spring and again in late summer for fall crops.
  • Spacing: sow 18 seeds per sq. ft.; thin to nine plants per sq. ft.
  • Days to harvest: 30 to 40 days from germination. Very frost-hardy.
  • Hint: Spinach bolts in hot weather, so harvest early. Keep soil cool and moist with mulch or shade netting.
  • Learn more about spinach in our Veggie Encyclopedia
beans, (4)

beans

  • Sow seeds 1″ deep directly in garden after all danger of frost.
  • Spacing: four plants per sq. ft. for bush beans, six to eight plants per sq. ft. for pole beans
  • Plant second crop of bush beans (if needed) two weeks after first planting
  • Days to harvest: 50-80 days from seed, depending on variety. Not frost-hardy.
  • Hint: Add a legume inoculant when planting to increase vigor and yield.
Learn more about beans in our Veggie Encyclopedia
basil, (2)

basil

  • Plant seeds 1/4″ deep indoors six weeks before last frost; outdoors two weeks after last frost.
  • Transplant seedlings two to three weeks after last frost or when soil reaches 70 degrees F.
  • Replant if you have space and want more.
  • Spacing: two plants per sq. ft.
  • Days to harvest: 40-55 days from transplant. Harvest leaves as desired. Not frost-hardy.
  • Hint: Pinch stems early and often to stimulate branching and bushy growth.
Learn more about basil in our Veggie Encyclopedia
broccoli, (1)

broccoli

  • Sow seeds 1/4″ deep indoors, six weeks before last spring frost.
  • Transplant into garden when seedlings have two sets of leaves.
  • Spacing: one plant per sq. ft.
  • Days to harvest: 50 to 70 days from transplant. Frost-hardy.
  • Plant a second broccoli crop eight weeks before first fall frost.
  • Hint: Row covers are an effective control for cabbage worms.
Learn more about broccoli in our Veggie Encyclopedia










No comments: