Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Swim Suit Shopping...Not for the faint of heart.

As I have said before in my Dream Jeans post, there is a "slight" difference in my body since having a family. I am dealing with it. I feel like I have a pretty realistic idea, of where I am going to be as far as my physique goes, and I am not expecting to be rocking a string bikini any time soon or ever again. I didn't really rock them even when I was young(er) and thin(ner:) My friend and I were just remembering the days when we thought of ourselves "Ugh Gross, I hate myself in a bathing suit." For me that was 4 kids and like 20 pounds ago. How we'd love to be that gross in a bathing suit again:)

But I got done with my 3 mile run/walk today and was feeling pretty good. I've been feeling better in my clothes; the only way I gauge change, since I pretty much have sworn off my scale. But anyways, I was near Target so I decided maybe to start of Summer I would go try on some swim suits. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

First of all I love GROCERY shopping but despise APPAREL shopping. That could explain a few things :) But anyways. I really was being brave taking 4 hungry, tired kids with me into Target, but they were being good. I was optimistic as I pulled maybe 8 different suit combos and a couple cover ups. I made my way back to the dressing rooms. The gal was sweet to allow my tribe and I into the big dressing room. And I proceeded to try on the suits. SOOO Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Now it is humbling to say the least, trying on bathing suits in front of myself and the mirror, let alone my very sweet but brutally honest children. Keegan is getting to where he is not really paying attention and more into my phone then a fashion show, Maddie is just gunning for any snacks that are sitting in the cart and then there is Delaney and Cam. Delaney is being sweet but honest. "No Mommy, I don't like that one... I like this one better...kind of stuff." I am petrified of Cam. This is the child who asked me once

CAM: "Mom when I get growed up, do I get to have a 'mustnache' like you"
ME: "Hello Friend who does waxing, can you fit me in, like 5 minutes ago:) ????"

I keep waiting for him to ask me when I am having another baby...That is another of his zingers :) OH fun!

Anyways, can I just say that I LOVE TARGET but it could not be a worse place to try on clothes. The lighting makes me feel like I am in a horror movie. Do Florescent bulbs 15 feet above your head flatter ANYONE! Maybe serial killers, not anybody I know. Then there is the Carnival Fun House Mirror, that is what I am assuming they have up in there. This view I am getting can not be for real. I am pretty sure my stomach has not seen the light of day in well, let's see Keegan's 9, so 9 years. Just for the hell of it, I try on a 2 piece that is not a tankini. YIKES!!!!! Next! My friends and I joke that it's nothing, we just happen to have a floatie on under our tops. Water safety is very important to us :)

I try on a couple cute cover ups but return all 8 suits to the counter. No luck. It is only June 28th, but I feel like we are half way into summer and it doesn't help that all the summer stuff is marked down. I feel like they are rushing me into the tail end of the season. I am really trying to fight it. I still need a swimsuit. At least I got one cute cover up and worst case scenario, I will just rock that and give the illusion of a swimsuit under there :) Bathing suit shopping...definitely not for the faint of heart and if you happen upon my 20 year old stomach I would like it back, please send it my way.

Night!
Ashley

2 comments:

Krista said...

LMAO!! My husband has the same brutally honest approach your little Cam does. He once told me he married me despite the hair on my face! Can you say "mortified"? I promptly started waxing that night.

Ashley said...

I just took care of my 5 o'clock shadow problem and the start of my uni-brow, last night. Thank you waxing friend. I hate that, as in a lot of things in life, you have to let it get worse before you can make it better :) And just for the heck of it, I tried some self tanner on my stomach this morning. And believe it or not, the gravel that has mysteriously appeared under my skin actually looks a little less noticeable even with just a fake tan.