Thursday, July 21, 2011

I RAN 4 MILES!!!

19.5 miles & 6 days down
80.5 miles and 20 days to go.
TODAY'S GOAL 4 miles
ACTUAL 6.5 miles!!!!
Walked-2
RAN-4
Walked .5

I know I wrote when I did one mile running without stopping and then two. I would have written about three, but today I ran right past three and finished 4!!!! I never ever in a million years thought I would do 4 miles straight running, I never thought I would want to, or if you'd asked me in high school, I never thought I'd need to. Oh those were the days :)

At some point this week, I stopped huffing and puffing while running and I didn't really notice it until I realized today that I hadn't done it once during my run. I wasn't sure if I could run today. I started having some back trouble last night (that sounds old:) and woke up worse this morning, but decided this afternoon that I HAD to get my mileage in or I really would never get to my goal. So I thought even if I just walk I would get it done.

I started walking, at first slow. I stuck to that for 1 mile. Then started my second mile faster, but still walking. I didn't feel great but thought I could probably run 1 mile (the 3rd) and then maybe walk the 4th to make my 4 mile goal. By the 3rd lap of the 3rd mile (my 1st running) I realized I could go 2 miles running. So I finished my 4th and final lap of that mile and watched the lights disappear to start another mile. I kept pushing. By the 4th lap of that mile I thought, "You know what Ashley! Go 3.1 miles running so you can say you have done the same distance as a 5K fully running." By the time I rounded the .1 of that 3 miles running I thought "HOLY CRAP I can do this! I am going to keep going and run 4 freaking miles!" I was listening to Gwenyth Paltrow sing "This woman's work" on repeat for the last mile. "I know you have a little life in you left, I know you have a lot of strength left!" I finished up listening to John Mayer "Bigger then my Body" "Cause I'm bigger then my body gives me credit for!"

It took me forever because of my walking but I completed 6.5 miles in 110 minutes. Did you know a treadmill will shut off automatically after 100 minutes? Mine apparently does. I was a sweaty disgusting mess at the end, and it seriously looked like some one beat the, you know what, out of my face, it was THAT red. And I seriously know there are some of you reading this right now, that this sounds pathetic too. BUT I AM SO PUMPED! I felt like Forrest Gump, " I got to the end of my driveway but I wasn't tired so I just kept running..." No worries though, there will be no cross country runs for me. Of that I CAN guarantee :)

I texted Rachel my awesome run coach/great friend/best neighbor/adopted sister-in-law ( www.runforit.co ) and told her! I was so excited for her to know, and I told her I never ever ever would have believed I would be able to do that if she hadn't told me I could! She wanted me to go easy and I think that's why I completed 4 running, I did it slowly but surely, the speed was only on 4.5. I still don't know if I will make my goal of 100 miles. I will have to add some easy walking in on my "required rest days" If Rachel will let me, in order to make up mileage.

So we'll see. I hope I can improve my endurance some more. Then I can eventually build some speed. And who knows...Maybe this will go beyond the 25 day challenge. I am already hearing from some of you who want to try. Just don't over do it if you aren't already a runner. I created the 100 mile goal thinking I would just run/walk 4 miles every day for 25 days. My lovely coach has been teaching me about fluctuating my mile schedule so I don't burn out or get hurt, so listen to your body, or call my/a run coach :)

So I'll keep running, you keep reading!
Thanks for the kind words of support! They mean the world. And thank you Rachel again for believing in me! I am going to bed right now and all I keep hearing is...
"I know you have a little life in you left, I know you have a lot of strength left!" Seriously find this song Gwyneth sings it beautiful!!! Inspirational!




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: