Thursday, August 4, 2011

Camping and Cooking

I feel like we have been SO busy and here and there and everywhere. That I have not gotten my kitchen time in. And then we are going on vacation and though I am trying to figure out how and if and which spices I should sneak into my carry-on (we have a kitchen in Hawaii) I know I won't get to cook as much as I like there either. I like eating out from time to time, but I don't like it when that is all we do. It is ironic that I feel that way because, when I was growing up I used to beg my mom to "PLEASE LET US GO OUT" or stop to pick something up. The answer was ALWAYS "No, I can make that better!" Now my kids beg "PLEASE..." and the answer is "NO, I can make that better" It is unnerving I will say, when I use those words I hated so much on my kids but, I know that someday they will be telling their kids the same thing and that makes my heart happy :)

In the meantime though, we have so much running round and things scheduled that I feel like I won't even be close to getting my fix cooking wise. I am super excited to go to Hawaii, don't get me wrong. But our normal yearly vacation Camping, is my favorite, because half the time you are there you are laying on a floatie, or on a boat in the middle of a lake drinking a beer, watching your kids play around you and the other half you are cooking. Planning for that vacation includes time intensive menu planning. And that might be my favorite part. I am dragging my feet to pack suitcases and I have a few lists of things we need going right now, but there is no menu planning involved :( When we camp we plan and we eat GOOD!

This tradition of gourmet camping started when I was a kid and we used to go camping at Leo Carrillo State Beach in Malibu, CA. I can honestly say those are my favorite childhood memories. The whole experience was amazing from start to finish, My dad making bacon for the 40 or so people that were in our group. Going to the beach everyday, riding bikes, climbing trees, making up performances for everyone to watch, sitting by a campfire, and then there was DINNER! We went with a family who owned an Italian Restaurant, BONUS! The spaghetti and meatballs were amazing! We also had Mexican night and one night on the trip we'd have Cajun Shrimp with Rice. I could go on and on. Being a child who loved her food, this was heaven. Papa Marion would head the team of cooks, everyone pitched in where they could and every meal was enjoyed from beginning to end. Even if it was your turn to clean. Papa taught us how to make Indian Corn on the Fire. How to make a perfect circle for our chairs, there were A LOT of chairs. And the difference between a "white man's fire :)" or an "Indian Fire" Basically the white man had to have a huge fire so he ended up keeping warm searching for wood, the Indian would only gather enough wood to keep himself warm through the night and warm himself huddled close to it. So we'd have to choose, spend time splitting and gathering wood and make a BIG fire or do just what we need to stay warm :) We changed nightly. The stories, and songs and S'mores were aplenty. It was all magical and wonderful and my wish would be someday to take my kids there to experience it.

Because of all this wonderment, camping is still one of my favorite things to do and though we pretty much just go once a year, we all look forward to it. I was very lucky to find in Joe, a husband who loves camping as much as I. My kids who are more excited for Hawaii then I can describe, have made a comment one or two times like "So does going to Hawaii mean we aren't going camping?!?" Yes my dears it does, but that's OK we are going to have a blast!

If we were going camping I would have my menu all planned out. It may look like this.
Night 1: Mexican night
Bring taco meat already browned and seasoned so all you have to do is throw it in a pot to heat it up. I bring containers and bags of already chopped lettuce and tomatoes, shredded cheese etc. We eat this dinner the first night so that stuff doesn't get all gross.
Night 2: French Dips
Rolls, some already cooked and sliced roast beef and our packets of Au Jus. I make potato salad before we leave and we pull that out as well. Easy and Yum.
Night 3: Steak Night
We sometimes put Flank Steak in marinade before we leave and it will be nice an marinated by the 3rd night. Throw that on the grill. Good to go.
Night 4: Italian
Spaghetti will be on the schedule towards the end of the week. If I make the meatballs ahead at home and freeze them they stay good until then. They are never as good as Papa Marion's though :) Throw some already prepped at home garlic butter in the cooler before you leave and slice open a loaf, spread it on and grill your garlic bread. Yum. 
Night 5: All American
Hamburgers or chicken burgers always seem to make an appearance but it's kind of funny that this traditional camping food, is never at the top of our list. We are all pretty over hot dogs by this night too because they are a go to lunch while we camp.
Night 6: Leftover Night
Last year I had leftover taco meat and spaghetti sauce and hamburger buns we made a very "everything but the kitchen sink" but delicious batch of Sloppy Joes.
Also Joe is a master at his grilled pizzas. If he's feeling organized enough he has been known to throw the individual sized doughs on the grill at home, get it most of the way done and then we bag them and bring them and all our favorite toppings. Only to be topped and re-grilled to heat them up at camp. A bagged Casesar Salad kit and we are good to go. This also leads to having some leftover add ins for your pasta salad later :)

Other Handy Camp Recipes:
Pasta Salad:You can make pasta ahead of time and bring it bagged and then bring your add ins (salami, peppers, cheese, olives, etc) and Italian dressing and throw together a yummy pasta salad mid-week.

Indian Corn:
We always show up at camp with a lot of corn. We have it at least  2nights maybe more. Indian corn has obviously continued to be a huge tradition in our family. There is no better way to eat corn on the cob.

http://crazywonderfullifeofmine.blogspot.com/2011/07/bbq-chicken-broccoli-slaw-and-indian.html

Skip and Go Naked:
A grown up beverage recipe that is also one of our camping must haves-Be for-warned the recipe sounds gross, but is good and if you are responsible then you should have no problem keeping your clothes on :)You'll need an old school foam cooler, a 12 pack of cheap beer, a fifth of vodka, 3 pink lemonade concentrates and a bag of ice. Don't cringe and judge it until you try it.

Activities: 
On the kid front-
Ice cream in Ziploc bags and it was yummy and fun to do.
http://crafts.kaboose.com/ice-cream-in-a-bag.html
We also had a scavenger hunt that took them all over the campgrounds until they finally found their treasure; a box full of activities, I call them time killers, you know when you are trying to get situated for the day and get lunch packed and the boat packed and everyone fed and sunscreen on, that's when you need time killers. The treasure hunt was one in itself but it also had coloring books, and crayons, card games, a football, snacks and a bunch of other stuff I found at the dollar store. It was great to have.

From beginning to end, Summer is epitomized to me by a camp out. You are never more tired and happy to be falling asleep, even if not the most comfortable bed :) You have never been so hungry and had the food taste so good. And you have never felt so dirty and been so glad to hit a dirty public shower or lake to get "clean." Yes this year we are off on a tropical adventure! It will bring its own beauty, magic and hours of fun and memories. But for all of you getting in that end of the summer camping trip I hope it's all that and more!

No comments: