Monday, August 29, 2011

Oh...the Fair.

I won the yearly Fair battle last year. I don't remember how, but we did not attend last year. This year however Joe won and so we were in attendance yesterday.

I feel kind of bad to act like I do about the fair. I know there are hundreds, really thousands of people who love it. And I am glad. I wish I didn't feel how I feel... but I HATE it. It is so dirty and crowded and a rip off to me. The kids were saying "it's like Disneyland Mom!" But it's not! It's like Disneyland's illegitimate third cousin twice removed.

I used to take it better because I was a fan of the food. But as I have gotten older, the food doesn't quite do it for me. Obviously my taste buds have evolved a bit, but the food truck mentality isn't lost on me. Portland has a whole area dedicated to them which I think is way cool AND I grew up in Southern California, where you knew that some of those "taco trucks" had the best Mexican food around. But that's not exactly what the Fair food trucks offer. As in most things there are the good and the bad. It's not all bad, but you definitely have to look.

You want to check out why there is an obesity problem in America. The gluttony at the Fair is unmatched and WE were guilty of it as anyone. It is hard not to. There are a million choices. That part is fun. We started off with an early dinner. Joe had a Walla Walla onion burger with a side of the HUGEST onion rings I had ever seen ($13) The kids got a hot dog or corn dog and curly fries ($23) When Joe said we wanted 2 orders, the lady was thankfully honest, laughed and said we only needed 1. They handed him a pile of fries 6 inches high by 5 inches wide on a stack of napkins. I thought the napkins were for our use, but realized quickly that they were to soak up the river of grease that would drip from the fries. Eew! I had a shrimp, chicken and sausage gumbo from Marybel's truck and it was really good. I was either going to get that or the jambalaya. I usually get a gyro, but last time I got one there, I remembered not feeling good after, so I opted for a change. The gumbo cost $7.50 but they were out of quarters so they charged Joe $8. Isn't it their problem if they don't have quarters?!?Weird! Plus we got 2 frozen strawberry lemonades. ($7) Joe and I said maybe we need to get into the fair business, They were selling 16 ounce bottles of water for $3 a piece. Such a rip off!

So after you go get gouged for your dinner, then you go and sit down with a million strangers at filthy dirty picnic tables. FUN! Our seats were at the end of a table right next to the garbage cans. YUM! The kids thought I was nuts because I made them wash their hands before, after and during the meal. I couldn't help it they were touching everything! Each of our kids picked a treat for us all to share. Delaney picked a Purple Cow. This was a blackberry milkshake that was actually, REALLY good. Keegan picked a cinnamon sugar Elephant Ear. Also yummy. Cam and Maddie wanted Cotton candy. We enjoyed our treats and the people watching as we walked around. It is a very diverse crowd that wonders the fair. i could dedicate an entire post to that, but that's all I am going to say.

One fun, despite being dirty activity, is the animals. I need to remember that when we were little no one was freaked out about getting salmonella from the petting zoo. You just washed your hands after you pet the animals. I think too much about these things I guess. The kids had a ball. Maddie especially loved seeing the animals up close and personal. We were asked for a bunny and chickens and wouldn't it be fun to have a goat, "Dad it could eat the grass!" I made sure to show how much poop was coming out of those animals. Keegan already hates scooping Jagger's, so he isn't looking for more poop to scoop :) That took care of that.

We saw all the animal exhibits and most of the infomercial booth exhibits. We actually left without buying any miracle sponges or the latest technology in insoles or a remote control helicopter. Which is saying a lot. Joe LOVES a good gimmick:) We even got away with the kids playing NO games and going on one "ride" They are very rational, my kids, when they want to be. Joe and I gave them the choice. they could do one of the rides, or they could do the "Power Jump" and get cotton candy. Do you realize that most of the rides the Fair cost like $3-$5 EACH! I am sorry, I don't mean to sound like a cheap skate but come on! For it to cost $10-$20 for my family, not even my whole family to ride A ride at THE FAIR! That is ridiculous.

All in all not the worst time I have had at the Fair. Not my best time ever, but not horrible. Yes it was dirty and yes it was expensive, but the kids were happy and they were good. Going to Maui I think I feel like my kids are very portable right now. They learned about listening and agreeing on plans. They learned about traveling as a group and about making decisions when it comes to eating, activities, etc. I am happy to say our trip to the Fair was a short, mostly painless outing. The kids are happy we went and I am happy I am due to win out on the go or no go battle next year. We will be a no go. :)

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone


No comments: