Monday, September 5, 2011

Laptop Lunches....I love you:)

I got myself a gift. The gift of not having to wash lunch box compartments EVERY NIGHT!!! Yay! I have stated before my love of our Laptop Lunch Systems. And I am pretty sure that I mentioned the only thing that kind of sucked was washing the compartments every afternoon to pack lunch that night. I bought 3 Laptop Lunch Systems 3 school years ago. They were almost $40 so on the expensive side but that included: the insulated carrier, the inner bento box, 4 containers- 2 with lids, a water bottle and fork and spoon. Oh! Plus a nifty little lunch idea/nutrition book! Now to estimate how much I have saved would take a large amount of math, too much in fact for a Friday at 4:00pm. But let's just assume for 5 days a week, 3 lunches a day at least, 4 food groups a day, that's like 60 sandwich bags a week times let's say 40 weeks a year for school, outings, etc. 2400 sandwich bags in a year times 3 years so approximately 7200 sandwich bags I have saved from the landfill over the past few years. It probably is even more then that though, because I actually don't even buy them anymore. So I don't use them for anything. Not only is that a lot of waste saved but when you figure that 100 sandwich bags costs on average $5.50 not counting sales, Costco etc. That's 72 boxes times $5.50 equals $396 over three years! Now if you subtract the $150 that we have spent on the lunch boxes and extra containers...That is STILL over $200 savings over the past 3 years! JUST ON SANDWICH BAGS!!! I think I need to figure out what else I can save money like that on. And make the earth less trashy...It's a win win!

Also a win win is the way you feel when you send your kid to school with a work of art and call it lunch! Check it out!



I LOVE THIS! It looks just like an ad! The thing I like about these boxes the most is that because of the compartments and containers it really makes me think about what I am putting in them. It's a visual reminder of the food groups and I feel like I pack a better lunch when I use them. I will say I know there are other lunch systems out there, but I really don't think they compare. I am happy to plug Laptop Lunches. They are a great small business who's going gangbusters! But when you call you still have a real human who answers the phone. PLUS I ordered on a Monday NIGHT online and I was packing lunches by Thursday! They are so efficient! They even have a Facebook page where other Laptop Lunch Lovers post pictures of their lunch combinations for you to peruse. These lunch boxes are not just for kids. They are grown up cool too:)

I hope you'll check them out. Or at least check out their lunch ideas on their website or Facebook page. Here are some links for you.

www.laptoplunches.com
www.Facebook.com/LaptopLunches

I know we all get hit with a million infomercials a day. Everyone's got something to sell. So I don't want you to be irritated with this. Even if you have your own lunchbox from wherever and use your own containers that is still great. All the waste you are saving and money will be the same. All I am saying is that I don't know if I would follow through or continue to be good like I am with these, if I had to dig through my cabinets and find containers, taking more time or think too hard I may just bag it, literally :) Hopefully you are better then me:)

This month my goal, besides getting back to school and into a routine, is to come up with easy ways to save money, time, and resources. To streamline some things in my life. I am not saying I am going to be changing my WHOLE lifestyle, but maybe I could change parts of it. These lunch boxes have been a good start. I know a friend and my aunt who have done a "Live out of your pantry challenge" which I am going to do soon and I am going to think up a few more ideas. Should be exciting and I am glad that you'll be along for the ride. Until then...

Happy Lunching!
Ashley

No comments: