Sunday, October 2, 2011

Much to young to feel this damn old :)

Garth Brooks said it best! I have been singing that to myself ALL DAY. Last night Joe and I had a Gourmet Dinner and Auction to Attend for the Kidney Auxiliary of Puget Sound or KAPS. It was a lovely event and amazing meal. Unfortunately it was also my best friends birthday and I wanted terribly to celebrate it with her. We had my mom babysitting already, so we were "kid free" for a night as it was. We decided to go to the KAPS dinner and then came home, jumped in a cab and headed to Lucky Strike in Bellevue. As we drove down the freeway we were yawning and I think I looked at my phone about 20 times wondering "WHAT THE HECK WE WERE DOING GOING OUT AT THIS TIME OF NIGHT!!!!" Oh how times have changed. In college we wouldn't even think of going out before 9:30 or 10:00pm. Now it was 10:30 we were in a taxi thinking we were crazy.

When we got there, it was crazy. There were people EVERYWHERE! The streets were filled with party goers out on the town. I felt so stupid. Here we were dressed in our Auction clothes, not that we were Overdressed so to speak...there were girls in dresses and heals everywhere...Maybe I don't get it because when I was there age I was going out in Ellensburg, a small town in the middle of Washington, known for it's cattle, farms and rodeo. We were in Bellevue. The big city of the East side.

So anyways as I approached the Lucky Strike, which for those that don't know is a 21 and over bar, bowling alley and arcade. Basically a grown up Chuck E. Cheese's. There was a line up out the door of like 30 people waiting to get in. And although we were just getting there, I was kind of like..."Why are they just going out now at 11:30??? There were cops talking to some crying girl, it looked like there had been a fight or something. I found myself glancing over to The Container Store, just an escalator ride below us. I could see all the bins and baskets and shelves from the Lucky Strike line. I caught myself thinking "I would line up to get into there right now. Oooh look at that basket organizer!"  :) In we went and we had fun. When they called last call we were on the dance floor. I laughed looking around at everyone surrounding me. Wondering what they would think, knowing they were dancing alongside a carpooling, butt wiping, room parent coordinating, van driving, soccer mom of 4 :)

Pulling into our driveway at 3:00 in the morning, Joe and I both said "Uh...Gross!" We knew the next morning, well that morning actually, was going to be Horrible! 3:30am bedtime...Not my friend. I found myself wishing a Totino's Party Pizza lived in my fridge, but alas, I stopped buying those about 10 years ago. Ironically about the same time I stopped staying out until 3:30 in the morning.

I think it is important to at least once a year remind yourself that you are exactly where you want to be. Coincidentally, one of the best ways to do this- do what you used to do, have a lot of fun, with a lot of consequences. When I was 21 I didn't have a kid, let alone 4, that I was getting up in the morning to take care of. I could nap and eat cheeseburgers and fries and recover from my night of fun and then get ready to do it again whenever!

No thank you :) We all had fun last night. We laughed and played and danced and sang, joked and lived it up like we were 22 not 32. I woke up this morning. Very tired, as little worse for wear but all in all, grateful for a fun night out. Not ready to do it again anytime soon. And loving that I'm living my life, just the way I want to be. Going to bed now :)

Night!

No comments: