Sunday, January 29, 2012

3 Week Challenge- Update!

So I had started this post over a week ago. I had typed out this whole long post about my 3 week challenge and how it was going and then all this stuff kept coming up and haven't gotten to finish it. Then yesterday Maddie was sitting on my lap as I was working on it and she said very matter of factly. That's a lot of words:) She was right. I was even feeling a little turned around inside my own post. So as I was thinking about it tonight I decided to start fresh, maybe take parts of my other post. I sat down to take a look at my draft, pushed open and... THE WHOLE THING HAD BEEN DELETED!!! So I guess it's good I decided to start from scratch :)

I HAVE A CONFESSION! I did go to the store twice. But I walked in for a Chobani and coconut water after my long run and I walked out with a Chobani and coconut water BOTH TIMES! That in itself is a MIRACLE! I have never stuck to a list before, especially for 2 things. I always end up walking out with at least a bagful. OK AND I did send Joe (when we smoked our turkey) to get a box of stuffing and a can of cranberry sauce. Because YOU CAN'T EAT TURKEY WITHOUT THAT STUFF! Phew. That feels better to get off my chest :) But I did NOT grocery shop for real, for over 3 weeks. That's big for me. 

So sending a newly reformed grocery shop-a-holic into a grocery store with a list and a within reason budget was pretty much like sending a alcoholic into the liquor store. I felt a euphoric feeling rush over me. I had been agonizing over getting my list organized for a week and I was afraid of going over board, but I went from each section of my kitchen and made my list. I then gave myself the go ahead to give myself one "impulse meal" I think that Saturday or Sunday are going to be my day to look through my mags and find what we want on impulse, but more on that later.) So when I entered the store I went in with my cart ( I hadn't pushed one in almost a MONTH!) Oh how I'd missed it. I really did. I LOVE GROCERY SHOPPING!

So this is what it looks like when you go to the store after not grocery shopping for OVER 3 weeks. 
 
This is one cart from 2 sides. I don't know how I got it to the checkout.
 This is what your fridge looks like when you don't go grocery shopping for over 3 weeks.
 
This is how little you have to throw out, when you clean out your fridge, after using everything up, after not going grocery shopping for over 3 weeks.
 I did spend a good amount on groceries. $489.00 but a lot, if not most, is going to go well into next month. PLUS I got a ton of meat on sale! Buy one, Get one free Pork Shoulder Blade Roasts, Whole Chickens and 7 Bone in Pot Roasts. That's 6 nice meals And over $120.00 in meat for $60!
 This shop also included a large amount of necessities like detergent, chlorine free bleach, fabric softener, diapers, dish soap, shampoo/conditioner...Wine :)
 
 And a lot of pantry essentials. Flour, baking powder, mayo, vinegar, oil.
 It took me 3 hours to organize everything and get it put away!
 The only veggies I got were ones I knew I wasn't getting in my order  and those that are staples for us. Cucumber, carrots and celery.
 Only 1 weeks worth of Pomegranate Chobani. I'll need it after my long run Tuesday. I will be having to buy that next week.
Unfortunately sometimes as healthy as I want to be...it is necessary to have some packaged/processed items on hand. Turkey dogs and string cheese aren't the worst thing I could have brought home, so I'm not beating myself up too bad :)
 I needed bread products, tortillas and crackers. As well as a couple sugary breakfast cereals to keep on hand in case of running late breakfast emergency :)
 The pantry is pretty much re-stocked. I have a list of inventory as well as a list of a couple things I still need to grab.
 A full deli drawer...YAY!
My easy grab pantry cabinet I have right next to my oven/stove. That way I have the stuff I need in a pinch near by.  I made sure to pick up the stuff I use daily so I was all ready to go.
 Nice and Neat!


 SO the bottom line is I saved A LOT! I learned A LOT! Yes I still got my deliveries, milk products, eggs and produce. But I was still able to eliminate realistically...AT LEAST 3 shopping trips of $150-$200 each in 3 weeks. So I cut almost $600 out of my grocery bill this month! Just by going through my pantry, fridge, freezer and using what I had. Obviously every month (if I keep this mentality going) is not going to be this drastic. Because as I move forward I'll keep using what I have and hopefully not end up with this type of surplus again. I have made the change in my mind that "although spinach would make these lasagna rolls amazing for dinner, I don't need to run out and get it RIGHT NOW!" They will taste pretty great without it and it will save me the trip, plus whatever money I would spend on whatever else I'd throw in my cart :)

I think I have mentioned our family's High/Low Dinner time routine. We each say the High/Low of our day... My High/Low for this challenge is this. (I like to go Low/High;)

LOW: The Saturday that I really wanted a good steak for dinner and I was feeling really grouchy and down about this "STUPID FREAKING CHALLENGE! WHY DID I THINK I COULD DO THIS!"

HIGH: When in 40 minutes I whipped up a birthday layer cake for my mom. One with home made Creamy chocolate Buttercream frosting in the middle and a Mexican Chocolate with Grand Marnier Ganache! Because I just didn't have it in me to run to the store and I wanted to prove I could do it. I did it all from stuff in my house!

Are you up for the challenge? :)
enJOY!

No comments: