Tuesday, September 18, 2012

All by myself...

Just typing the title to this post I am envisioning Renee Zellweger as Bridget Jones singing at the top of her lungs, in her flannel pj's, flailing her magazine into the air! I love that! Anyways. I am indeed all by myself this morning. Having dropped off Maddie and the rest of my monsters at school. Hooray! But what is to become of these free moments...Well here is how my morning went.

Let's start with last night. I am still dealing with pain from my burn. I can manage through my pain in the daylight hour but when it comes time to lay down and relax aka sleep, my legs suddenly contract restless leg like syndrome and I am overwhelmed by the sensation of even my sheet touching them. I toss and turn and can't get comfortable/ As soon as I do start to fall asleep, even the tiniest shift of the covers sends a chill throughout my body that won't go away. You know that feeling when you get a shiver. That initial woosh that comes over you and then quickly subsides...Yes that is the feeling I am talking about except it also comes with pain and it doesn't subside quickly if at all. SO I was up late last night. As you may have seen from my 1 am post.

Now as I was trying to doze off, Joe started tossing and turning.  He has been having back trouble so he was up not able to stay comfortable. SO here we are talking, wide awake at 1 in the morning. Luckily this was all reaffirming the fact, that us buying a new mattress yesterday was a good thing. I digress. Finally drifting off God knows what time...

BEEP BEEP BEEP! Time to get up! (Actually we wake up to Onerepublic- Good Life :) Roll over, snuggle up to Maddie who has stowed away into our bed, AGAIN..."ASH WAKE UP!" Joe yells from closet.

Get everyone rolling slowly and inefficiently. Cam is crying "I HATE SCHOOL!" This is super. I remind everyone it is Maddie's first real day of school and we need to get going. I am driving us and the cousins and we need to get downstairs so we can leave by 8. At 7:45 we are finally ALL downstairs, dressed, groomed and ready to roll. Now if we can just throw some breakfast into our tummies we will be set.

Cam need shoes tied and luckily his mood has drastically improved. "Are you excited for school Maddie?!" he says sweetly. "Yes" she replies back. "Hey Mom" Cam interrupts. "Today is picture day, we are supposed to have free dress." OH MY GOSH!!!! Everyone freezes and then books it upstairs to get out of their uniforms. I should have made them go in uniform, but my fashionista Delaney would have nothing to do with that :) Somehow and in record speed, they are all in free dress and back downstairs ready. Breakfast will have to be whatever we can grab, as the cousins are here and ready to go.

Somehow we are in the van and on the road minutes later and only 2 minutes behind schedule. As we drive to school I teach Katie, the oldest of our clan of cousins, how to write a check. Since I need 4 separate checks written for picture day as well. Amazingly we make every light and we arrive in the parking lot minutes before the first bell! It's a miracle. Everyone hops out and I'm just about to get out myself, ready to face my alone time head on. "Um. um. Um. Mom." "Yes Cam" I reply.

"I forgot my back pack."

Awesome. With those words I kissed my first day of freedom farewell, vowing to visit again soon, perhaps on Thursday barring and other unforeseen nonsense.

And so I sit here laughing to myself. Thinking about how yesterday I felt almost not ready for my free time and well I guess this is a good way to break into it. Slowly and partially at first :) Maybe I'll work my way up to a normal day sometime in the near future. But for today, I enjoyed my 1 hour. Now I have a bed to put together. Well I will once they actually arrive with it, an hour later then they said (so far:) Looking forward to a good night's sleep tonight and a few hours of freedom sometime soon.

Have a great day. enJOY!
Ashley

No comments: