Friday, July 29, 2011

Oh to be a kid again.

The skies are grey, surprise surprise! The weather man says that by lunch they should be sunny and warm. I am cautiously optimistic, because it matters not. We can't control it and it will be what it will be. How very Zen of me, right?!?! I had my little breakdown last week and cursed and spit at the weather, but guess what it didn't get better because I did that. In fact it got worse! So this week I am letting it ride and regardless of what the weather is doing outside we will figure out what to do accordingly.


So back to today. As I type this Cam has taken it upon himself to make an awesome fort! I love his ingenuity. I love that for once he is building something and NOT freaking out when it falls down. I love that he is so into it and he doesn't care what everyone else is doing. He is just being a kid.

I laid in it with him and was instantly transported to being a kid again! I loved making forts. My sisters and I would make big elaborate ones and our awesome mom would let us drag whatever we wanted into it to make it more like home. Even if we were outside. It was an entire new world, where we could be whatever we wanted. A mom, a movie star or my most favorite a famous singer! We would play for hours, days if weather and mom permitted :)

Those were days of endless hours and magic ones at that. I crave that time and luckily I can live it again through the eyes of my kids. And sometimes if they'll let me, with them.

The other day I was pushing them on the swings and I was trying to explain to Cam how to pump. Finally I decided it would be easier to show him. I got on the swing and started pumping. "Out then in, back then forth, use your arms" I said. I climbed higher and higher. As I went up and down it was so funny how I got that old familiar feeling in my tummy of falling backwards, that sinking, fantastic feeling of being on the swing. "Mom! Is it my turn now?!" Oh yeah, That's right! I'm the mom not the kid!"

I don't care how old you are or what you have going on in your life, if you have a swing set go outside right now and get on that swing. If you don't, Then next time you drive by a park with swings, you pull that car over and get on the swing! Pump yourself as high as you can go! Close your eyes as you fall from outer space, back to Earth! Be a kid again! Maybe even jump off the swing. I double dog dare you!

Happy Friday :)


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: