Monday, August 1, 2011

Keegan says...You have to admit Mom, Technology comes in handy sometimes :)

Last night I knew I needed things to get done around the house. Part of my Gaffney Steps to Betterment Summer Program :) includes getting the kids to help with the upkeep of our home. We/they are getting better. Let's just say its a work in progress. I knew I would ask them, I knew they would begrudgingly do it, but they'd complain, fight, and take FOREVER. I didn't want to deal with wasting an entire day with this nonsense. So how did I get them excited or at least not so against helping me. I fell asleep feeling hopeless.

I awoke this morning not much better. Now the reality was looming- Laundry, beds to make, rooms to clean and more, not to mention 5.5 miles to run, and call me crazy but perhaps we could squeeze some fun in on this gorgeous day?!? So I lay there pondering. When here came Cam who climbs in bed with me and actually over me to grab my phone which is plugged in on my nightstand. He wants to play a game. "Um No Cam, not now buddy." I think to myself, "Why are my kids SO obsessed with technology?!" Then I think to myself "Hmmm... MY KIDS ARE SO OBSESSED WITH TECHNOLOGY! How can I use this to my advantage." I sit up and start checking my email on my phone, as I go to reply to one I notice my print option. We just recently hooked up our printer to our WI-FI network and can print from anything connected to it from basically anywhere in my house. The kids think it is pretty cool. And it hits me. What if I send them "secret, special messages" to the printer and they can get them and hopefully get into our chore day. I don't know if it will be enough to spark their interest, but I am hopeful.

The rest awake and start their usual song and dance and whine "MOM! WHAT ARE WE DOING TODAY?!?!" I start to go down the list of chores WE need to do. You an only imagine their faces and well I can't blame them really. I didn't want to do it either, but it had to be done. They shuffle down the hall, dragging their feet. Complaining the whole time they are getting dressed..."WHY MOM? I DON'T WANT TO!" I go to my phone I am talking to Delaney and Cam as I type:

Delaney To Do

1. Clean basement
2. Empty Dishwasher
3. Put away laundry
4. Pick up Room
5. Clean mirror and counter and sink

Camden To Do

1. Clean basement
2. Pick up toys put in bag
3. Put away laundry
4. Wipe down room with a wipe

GO CHECK THE PRINTER I SAY:
They looked at me funny. "WHY?" "Just go I say." They run downstairs and go to the printer. They grab their papers off the printer and Delaney starts to read. "WHAT!?" she giggles. "MA-OM! What are you do-ing?" Cam looks at his, Delaney tears his out of his hand, starts to read it to him. "UM MOM" he says "I threw mine away." I send it to the printer again. "Hey Cam check the printer" I call down "WHAT!" he screams and laughs "FINE!" Keegan comes down the hall wondering what the commotion is about. I start to give him the same run down and he meets it with the same amount of displeasure... "Hey Keegan, go check the printer." He runs down the stairs to find his paper.

Keegan To Do

1. Clean basement
2. Scoop Jagger Poop
3. Put away laundry
4. Pick up Room
5. Clean mirror and counter and sink 


While he stands their reading it I send another.
Keegan, 
Please grab the Glass Plus and paper towels too :)

Love Mom :)

He starts laughing and runs upstairs, immediately brushing his teeth and getting his room picked up. "OK he says so when we do this, we get to go swimming?" Yep that's the deal. But I have to run so I am going to have to get on the treadmill. I am already 3 loads of laundry in and I am waiting for the last one in the dryer. This is my window of running opportunity. "We'll get it done Mom."


I made them a breakfast Smorgasbord- Watermelon, baby pancakes, waffles and bananas. Not my best work, but a great grab and go breaky. They like to eat that way, so I am lucky. As I go to get on the treadmill, taking Maddie with me, I send another one. "CHECK THE PRINTER!" I yell.



You guys are doing great! I am so proud of you all!!!!
Love Mom

Keegan checks in with me from whatever phone in the house he is closest to on the intercom. "Mom we are almost done with the basement. It is only taking us like 20 minutes. I can't believe it!" I can't believe it either, that took them 2 days and many hours last time. Not because it was a bigger mess, but because they couldn't pull themselves together. I send another one. "Good job buddy, check the printer."

We are going to the pool at 1 with the kids. So let's hustle!!! Yay!!! I love you all so much!!!!!

Mom

I see Keegan out the window scooping poop, usually this is done with major arguing and resistance, even though he gets paid for this particular chore. He is just doing it, no problem. Alleluia. Before I know it they are in their swimsuits and with me in our workout area, and they bring me this.



I told them how proud of them I was. I meant every word. I know I expect a lot from them, but I don't think it is more then they can handle. Sometimes I get frustrated and think maybe I am (expecting too much) since it seems SO HARD for them to do! But I think what I remembered today is it is the same for us, even as adults, we get bored of the same old thing all the time. It is important to keep things fresh and new and throw a curve ball in there every once in a while. I can't do this every time or it won't be special. I don't believe there is ever one system that will work forever and ever. It certainly doesn't do that for me. I like to shake things up all the time. The cousins were over at their house playing Hotel. I think I'll be pulling that card soon too. It just proved to me that we can have fun, they can be responsible and they are SO capable! They made their mama proud today and we had a blast at the pool! They earned it.

"Mihsin Acomplihst"
:)

No comments: