Saturday, August 27, 2011

Part 2- Food...Glorious Food!

I do this particular post for those of you like me, who will look at it, say Yum! and decide to figure out how to copy these creations and revelations at home. Keep in mind that out of 996 photos of our trip I took OVER 100 JUST OF FOOD! So I narrowed this down to 85ish and I did it mostly selfishly so I have a chronicle of food to look at and gain inspiration from. Especially in the rainy, dreary Fall and Winter months that will inevitably be upon us, sooner then later. You who aren't interested in re-creating are welcome to scroll through and just say YUM!

I took so many pictures of our food while on vacation that, my kids knew not to eat until I got a picture, I started to embarrass Joe and when I told my mom, she said they probably thought I was a food critic. I guess in a way I was being a critic, just only for myself, well and all of you :)











So here is a glimpse into the amazing food we enjoyed on our trip to Maui. I have spoken before about my love of food and how meals are such an important part of our family both immediate and extended. This is because it is not just eating to eat or eating for nourishment of our bodies, but more so nourishment of our souls. When we sit down to a meal together it is all about that moment, that experience, WHO is sitting with us at the table, WHERE we are sitting, WHAT we are eating, HOW we enjoy it or don't all makes for more of a moment. The amount of memories we tie to food in our family is crazy, but Crazy Wonderful :)

Hula Grill 
Barefoot Bar & Cafe
Whaler's Village
Kaanapali, Hawaii
Right across a path from the beach. You sat, if you were lucky with your toes in the sand at the Barefoot Cafe part. All casual, most in swimsuits and cover-ups and under a "Tiki" style umbrella, listening to one of the many awesome performers they had singing and playing island tunes to us lucky few! 
FLATBREAD BLT
Applewood bacon, spinach, Surfing Goat cheese on grilled flatbread with mac nut slaw
THAI CHICKEN PIZZA
Thai sweet chili, bell peppers, Maui onion, and cilantro 
This just added to my addiction of Thai Sweet Chili Sauce! WOW!



The Old Lahaina Luau

Lahaina, Hawaii
Kalua Pua'a (pig), Polynesian Baked Mahi Mahi, Pulehu Steak, Lomi Lomi Salmon, Ahi Poke, Island Crab Salad, and Local-Style Fried Rice
The kids were actually more willing then I thought to try things. They all agreed the steak was their favorite, except for Keegan who against his better judgement tried the pig and then dubbed that "THE BEST!" 
Macadamia nut tarts, Chocolate cups filled with a lychee cream, Hawaiian Coconut Haupia, Macadamia and coconut brownies.

 PLACES WE WENT BUT WITH NO PHOTOGRAPHIC EVIDENCE:)
 
Kimo's 
Lahaina, Hawaii 

We went here on our anniversary night and the reason I forgot pictures was because
a) The kids were actually really tired and a little grouchy
b) They sat us in the back corner with every other family with kids-apparently they do "put baby in the corner:)"
c) I was very distracted by the Ahi poke "nachos" we ordered as an appetizer.

HIGHLIGHT: The Ahi Poke Nachos were Ahi Poke including shoyu (soy sauce) green onion, maui onion and the twist chopped tomato. Served with baked won ton chips, and a Wasabi-Avocado mash. Oh my word. For sure will be re-creating this one! Still Craving!

Leilani's
Whaler's Village 
Kaanapali, Hawaii

We went to Leilani's on a very windy night. That is why there are no pictures. I was very distracted by both the beautiful views, fun atmosphere and flying menus etc on the upper deck :) I will say though that I don't think I have EVER felt so looked after at a restaurant before. Along with our great waitress, we had at least 4 people checking on our well being at all times. It was great service! 
Joe and I also enjoyed one of the BEST wedge salads we have EVER had. I added Keegan's onions off his green salad which sent mine over the edge good! It was simply- ice berg lettuce, blue cheese dressing and bacon bits, but whatever dressing they use. Perfect! Joe had the Rack of ribs and I had the Steak and Coconut Prawns! Overall a fun night and great meal!

This was the view from Leilani's that evening. 



The Gazebo Restaurant
Napili, Hawaii

The Gazebo is what would be considered a "hole in the wall" except it reality is in a gazebo and on a beautiful point of Napili Bay. It is not fancy, in fact it is extremely down to earth. They even told us when we arrived for lunch and each ordered a beer that it's actually BYOB and they just try to spread the word around. I ordered a tuna melt, which was really simple but good, Joe got the pulled pork, which he loved. But what I was eye-ing and sneaking the whole time was the kids white chocolate chip pancakes with whip cream and get this Coconut syrup! Oh my gosh! I should have smuggled home 10 bottles of it. I thought, "Oh I can run to the end of the beach and grab some before we leave" but never got back down there. Boo!

The Gazebo was walking distance from Napili Kai. It is, if you are from this area in Western Washington, like a Maltby Cafe. No reservations, line out the door, not a huge place and breakfast to die for. In fact they open at 7:30am and close at 2pm. Only serving breakfast and lunch, both the whole time. I heard the manager (or possibly owner) speaking to a customer who asked when they should arrive if they wanted breakfast. He told her that while they open at 7:30am people usually start lining up at 6:15! I was very glad at that moment that we had opted for the 1 pm lunch, since we walked right up! 


We put the rest of the restaurants ahead of the Seahouse, our favorite place to eat on Maui because we had WAY more pictures of here then anywhere else. The service, the staff, the ambiance,  the view, the FOOD! Unmatched not to mention it was in walking distance from both the beach and our room. AND all four of our kids ATE FREE because we were guests of the resort. It was a match made in heaven!

The Seahouse Restaurant
Napili Kai Beach Resort
Maui, Hawaii

 
Da Kine Caesar
Whole baby romaine, balsamic-pomegranate syrup, sun-dried tomato vinaigrette and creamy Caesar dressing finished with a Parmesan cracker   
This salad was SO yummy, in fact Joe and I each had it a few times, but I was really irritated because my pictures never did it justice. You'll have to take my word for it.  
Thai Omelet - Crab, Maui onion, cilantro, mixed cheeses, and sweet Thai chili sauce 
This was my first breakfast in Maui and I think it is safe to say that I am obsessed with Thai Sweet Chili Sauce. I have been dreaming of this ever since and I WILL be re-creating it. SOON!

Beet and Goat Cheese Salad
Goat cheese and beet roulades, arugula, macadamia nuts, pumpkin seeds, grapes, beet gastrique and roasted tomatillo vinaigrette 
Huli Huli Lamb Rack
Garlic, ginger marinated and roasted, mashed potatoes, Poha berry jam, demi-glace 

This was only half the real portion. Joe and I decided to SPLIT it one night. These were delicious, BUT...Joe and I agreed that my mom's rack of lamb is still the BEST! 
 
Lawai’a Kupa (Fisherman’s Stew)
Lobster, scallops, shrimp, crab and grilled fresh catch, lobster coconut broth, eggplant, celery, carrot, sweet peppers, onion and steamed rice

Despite loving crab myself, I actually gave the two pieces of crab to Joe and Keegan. I had to! They had been looking for crab on every menu on the island, to no avail. When this arrived, I gladly handed it over.  Plus it was such a huge portion I gave Keegan part of the grilled fish as well.
Lawa Pono Pa (a sampler of island favorites)
A trio of our freshest choices. Ask your server about tonight’s selection and preparation 

The night Joe got it: petite filet with blue cheese crumbles and demi-glace on a bed of Maui Onion smashed potatoes, a bacon wrapped sea scallop with steamed vegetables and garlic sauteed shrimp with rice pilaf. 
 
The Night I got it: petite filet with blue cheese crumbles and demi-glace on a bed of Maui Onion smashed potatoes, garlic sauteed shrimp on steamed seasonal veggies and mini crab cakes on rice pilaf.  This was such a great way to eat. Especially when you couldn't decide :) I want plates this shape/size. It felt like you were eating a lot but you never got that TOO FULL feeling. I loved all the flavors. I could eat like this all the time. Now if only someone would help me make three little meals every night. Or do it for me...hmm. Oh that would be me

 Kilauea Chocolate Lava Cake
Warm chocolate cake with liquid ganache filling, raspberry coulis. Tahitian vanilla ice cream 

We got this a couple times OK a few times. Delaney's face lit up every time just like you see below and we will be looking for a homemade recipe, because she is HOOKED!

 These are things we ordered that I didn't get photos of. This was for one of a few reasons. Either I was too busy diving into/photographing my own meal. Or whoever ordered it dove in too fast for me to catch it, or I was just having to much fun to stop and take a pic :)


Eggs Napili Kai On a toasted English muffin topped with Hollandaise. Choice of home fries or rice.
Choose from the following options:

Canadian bacon, sausage patties and country gravy or spinach & tomato
Crab Cake (Joe's choice:) or Blackened Fresh Catch, Blackened Ahi or Filet Mignon

Kalua Pork Tacos
A pair of flour tortillas filled with cabbage slaw, shredded cheese, Kalua pork,salsa fresca, avocado aioli with rice and black beans 

These I have a feeling started as a way to use up leftover pig from their luau, but have turned into a Seahouse standard. They are marked as a specialty on their menu.


Thursday
Sea House Sub Sandwich
Shaved turkey, ham, prosciutto, red onion, romaine, Olowalu tomato salsa, Provolone cheese, coconut porter vinaigrette on Asiago Ciabatta 

Paniolo Ribeye
Hawaiian marinade, Maui onion mashed potatoes, sweet chili shoyu glaze 

I really did dive into this too quick to photograph. It was pretty rare, even for me, but the flavor was tremendous.



Banana Foster Cheesecake Lumpia
Coated in cinnamon sugar, candied macadamia nuts, caramel sauce, Macadamia nut ice cream 

This was so good and so pretty I can't believe I didn't get a pic AND I can't believe that I don't know when I will be able to get it again, all that AND that I don't even love dessert!
Molokai Sweet Potato Egg Frittata
Whipped eggs layered with spinach, caramelized Maui onions, Upcountry tomatoes, Molokai sweet potatoes, shredded cheese. Spiced Hollandaise and vegetable ragout 

I am not a huge sweet potato fan, so I did leave a few on the plate when I was done. They are the purple part :) But the rest of the flavor along with the presentation was just beautiful. Sorry this pic is so blurry, I took it on my phone, that Maddie was just playing with.
KEIKI MENU (This is the entire Kid's Menu) \
Remember our kids all ate FREE here the entire trip! Amazing!

BREAKFAST-
Buttermilk Pancakes
Banana Pancakes
Hawaiian Sweetbread French Toast (This was such a hit that the day after we got home I bought Hawaiian Sweet Bread to make this at home:)
Belgian Waffle 
Scrambled Eggs and Bacon, with toast and home fries or steamed rice
Cheese Omelet with toast and home fries or steamed rice 

LUNCH/DINNER-
Chicken Tenders Pasta with Red Sauce (Sauce? Nope, my kids ate noodles with butter and Parm)
Cheese Pizza (It was shaped like a fish, Cam was especially intrigued)
Burger with Fries
Hot Dog with Fries
BBQ Ribs(this is the only thing we never ordered)



Bikini Blonde Lager. A nice cold beer, in a nice frosty glass, on a nice hot day, on a beautiful sunny patio. Perfection!


Local Style Cobb Salad
Greens tossed in creamy herb dressing layered with Gorgonzola, tomato, avocado, egg and applewood bacon.
Choice of Fresh Catch, Chicken or Shrimp

Island Fish Tacos
A pair of flour tortillas filled with cabbage slaw, shredded cheese, crispy panko crusted fresh catch, salsa fresca and smoked pepper aioli with rice and black beans

Keegan at one point asked if he could order off the grown up menu. He was tired of cheeseburgers and fries. We said yes as long as he actually ate everything. He held his end by not only finishing his plate but whatever was left on all of our plates :) He is probably about to grow a foot! A boy after my own heart, on the last night before we left, we went around the table saying the HIGH/LOW of our trip. Keegan couldn't pick just one, but his top one was the Seahouse Restaurant. Oh Food...Glorious Food. He gets it :)

Delaney thoroughly enjoying her chicken strips



This is the patio at the beautiful Napili Kai Seahouse Restaurant



Sesame Crusted Ahi
Ginger seaweed salad, wasabi tobiko aioli, ponzu sauce and tempura asparagus spears

Seafood Chowder
Fresh made soup of local fish, clams, shrimp, vegetables, smoked bacon and potatoes in a velouté with a touch of cream

Island Salad
Mixed baby lettuce, cucumbers, carrots, gold pea sprouts, Maui tomato salsa
Lahainaluna Chicken Sandwich
Seared sesame-ginger chicken breast with shaved ham and Swiss cheese, topped with tropical fruit salsa on a toasted bun
 

Fish and Chips
Panko crusted fresh catch, French fries, tarter sauce, lemon
Another Hot Dog
Nap Time Maddie
The Philly from Napili
Shaved Prime Rib grilled with caramelized Maui onions, mushrooms, Provolone cheese on Asiago ciabatta roll 

Joe ordered it without mushrooms! Crazy! 

Caprese Tower  
Layers of gold and ruby tomato between fresh Mozzarella, arugula sprouts, herb pesto, balsamic reduction, sun-dried tomato vinaigrette
 
OK so this was not just a salad but a beautiful piece of art.  I ordered it only twice. I wish it had been more. The tomatoes were chopped and dressed in a balsamic drizzle and then stacked in a ring form to make this presentation. It felt horrible to cut into it to actually eat it, but it tasted so good you forgot about the guilt right away :)This is something I will re-create, but it will never look this way or probably taste this way. This may be warranting a call from my mom. She unlike me, is not afraid to call a restaurant and ask them how they do things. And they ALWAYS tell her! I don;t know why I am such a chicken.
 
 Herb Grilled Mahi Mahi

Tomatillo vinaigrette, Maui onion mashed potato, roasted garlic cream, Olowalu tomato salsa 

Another one of Keegan's grown up choices

Surf & turf
Six Oz. Filet Mignon and Seven Oz. Spiny Lobster Tail 

Joe's Last Supper in Maui!

Toasted Coconut Creme Brulee 
with mango sugar crust  


Friday
Aloha Friday Mixed Plate
Sesame ginger chicken, Kalua pork, steamed rice, pineapple cole slaw served with a Napili Sunset (Smirnoff Orange Twist Vodka, mango purée, POG, splash cranberry) 

This was my last meal in Hawaii. It was very festive and fitting for my fond farewell! And the Napili Sunset cocktail made getting on the plane a wee bit easier!

 
So here you finally have the ever illusive Part 2 post. I have been sure to save it and copy it every 5 minutes to ensure I am not writing it a 3rd time.
The thing I loved more then the food itself was the moments we shared together at the table. Talking, laughing, crying, "cheers-ing", passing our fork or plate, tasting and even falling asleep, only to be interrupted by the crash of the waves, the birds or someone telling us what a gorgeous family we had! Each meal was a joy, filled with great moments and memories that were made and that I will never forget. The fact we don't eat out much, it was a surprise to me how much fun was had. 
 The night before we left Maui, we sat at our table, on the rail of Napili Kai's Seahouse restaurant and we watched the sky go from orange to red to midnight blue. We watched the palms blow in the wind, and listened to the waves crash. We toasted a fantastic voyage! An incredible trip. We, even (sorry Joe, but I'm selling you out:) shed a few tears, tears of joy, when we recapped what we had experienced. We shared a bottle of wine, Joe and I that is. And we shared a beautiful meal, that is all of us. We were complimented one last time on our beautiful family and really every piece of me wanted to stay seated at that table indefinitely. I looked over at the table across from us and saw 2 parents and 2 teenagers on their phones. No one was talking or interacting and the sight of it scared the living daylights out of me. I thought to myself "so if we don't come back here for a few years is that going to be us?" And then I thought "NO! It won't be us." I won't let it. Besides my kids were as touched by the experience as I was. I can still see them sitting there, listening, tasting, touching, feeling and enjoying every moment. It truly left me hungry for more:) 

No comments: