Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Scalloped Potatoes with Summer Squash

My version of Scalloped Potatoes with Summer Squash
I came home from soccer and was in a hurry so I started by microwaving my potatoes. It actually worked out good though. I just did them on the baked potato sensor setting. Because I put them all in at once they didn't get all the way done, which was perfect.
 I used 6 medium to small potatoes and maybe 2/3 of a zucchini and 1 of those yellow squished squash
 I peeled my potatoes carefully since they were hot and smooshy in places :)
 I used a combination of grated Fontina and Gruyere. I LOVE these stinky cheeses. But if its a little too much for you. You could do Fontina (its less stinky;) and then do Parmesan or Swiss as well.
 I cut butter up into small pieces I used maybe 2 tablespoons
 I put down a layer of the potatoes, they were falling apart since they were pre-cooked but it made no difference. After the potatoes I threw on some salt and pepper, then the mixture of grated cheeses and pieces of butter. You are going to do a couple of layers so don't use all of everything on the first one :)
 The next layer I did another layer of potatoes on one half and then added the layer of summer squash and zucchini. S that nobody would have a chance of saying they didn't like something :)
 Follow up with more cheese, salt and pep and butter pieces.
 I used this delicious heavy whipping cream
 Pour the cream right over the top. I used all 16 ounces. Perhaps a little much :)
 My mom said "You can never have too much cream" :) Thank you skinny mommy. Unfortunately I believe there sometimes can be. Or at least my butt does :)
 I put it in the oven at the same time as the Pesto Salmon at 400 degrees on convection.
 It took at least 45 minutes to an hour. I have to admit I didn't keep exact track :/ Sorry I am still getting back into the swing of things :)
 Because I microwaved the potatoes It was pretty much done when it was golden and bubbly. You will want to let it sit for at least 5-10 minutes and it will set up and still be nice and hot. 
  Dinner was delicious. Even Cam said YUM! I LOVE SALMON!
Obviously no Pesto Salmon Salad for me today! Oh Well.

No comments: