Thursday, October 6, 2011

You have to try to believe it's good...Tri-tip

So this may seem like the most random recipe, but I promise you if you try it...You will LOVE it. The flavors are incredible! It is one of Joe's favorite dinners and every time I make it, he eats it and goes on and on about how it "just tastes SO good!" My mom and her friend Kitty came up with this crazy recipe a couple years ago and I would say we have almost had this once a month since.
 

YOU NEED:
Tri-tip roast- I get the 2 pack at Costco. I have also made this with the tri-tip strip steaks. I actually have only found the tri-tip roast at Costco.
A can of stewed tomatoes per roast
Also one small can of mild green chilies per roast or 1 larger can for 2.
Yoshidas Gourmet Sauce (yes the Teriyaki) 
Stop judging for one minute...and trust me :)

They look huge but shrink down considerably. We had MAYBE half of one left, which will become lunch or leftover night fare in a couple days :)
Pour the Yoshidas on the steaks and let them sit for maybe 20 minutes to marinate. I only fill it to about 1/2 way up the steaks. You can flip them if you want to.
Now open your cans of stewed tomato and green chilies...Just pour them on. Cover with foil and stick in the oven at 350 degrees for an hour
I check on it half way through and just take the temp, to gauge how long it will take.
When it reads 150 degrees on a meat thermometer it's done. I take it out and let it rest for 5 minutes, then slice it and put it back in the pan with the juices and sauce.

Serve with creamy mashed potatoes and veggie of your choice for delicious fall comfort food


2 comments:

Diane Rose said...

Yum! Made this last night for a crowd. I was craving mashed potatoes and this was the perfect compliment. I can't find the Yoshidas gourmet sauce in San Diego, though, had to improvise. Thanks :)

Ashley said...

YAY! I know it sounds so weird, but I hope others will be brave as you :)


Hope your feeling great! Congrats on the little bundle. Hooray! You'll never be the same again and It's worth every crazy thing I promise! :)