Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Phew!

So Cam brought home their Kindergarten "Class Pet" this weekend. Bamboo the Panda Bear. He was thrilled. He wanted to do everything with him and he kind of did. It was a special treat, unfortunately I was a little stressed about it. Fortunately Cam got Bamboo back to school today no worse for wear...




 

A HUGE relief considering that below is how Coco the pre-school "class pet" ended up after the weekend at our house, last year.

  

NOTE TO SELF: FLAMELESS CANDLES ONLY ON CLASS PET WEEKENDS!

Yes we were THAT family. The family that killed Coco. Actually the kids didn't really notice. Build a Bear online really came through with a similar enough bunny. I was horrified when the teacher told me they were going to use it as a teaching moment and have a firefighter come talk to the class. OH MY GOSH!!!!! WHY!!!

We almost NEVER use real candles anymore. We haven't since we had kids. But on this particular afternoon, I had fried taco shells the night before, my house smelled like fried YUCK, and I lit a candle to try to mask it. I was sitting at my computer 2 feet away from Cam at our bar when I heard him say UH-OH....UH Mom. Not even frantically. I turned right around luckily to see Coco sitting on my counter, head on candle in flames. Really! THANKFULLY Cam wasn't hurt! I got Coco right to the sink to put her head out. It was all kind of slow motion! 

As soon as the Holy S%$# everyone is OK subsided. Then sunk in the Holy S%$# we just set Coco ON FIRE! I then had to console Cam, email the teacher you can imagine how that email started. 

Dear Teacher, 
So an interesting thing happened today ...

OH! and text my friends to let them know I would be switching schools. MOTHER OF THE YEAR, I think I signed my messages. What the hell!?! How did this happen?!? It was a sobering experience and again it could have ended up terribly. I am thankful everyday that it didn't. Fire is no laughing mater. But now I can at least look back on it and be thankful and then uncomfortably chuckle at the fact that really ONLY WE would have this happen! Seriously!? Well word got around school. People laughed. I laughed along, even though inside I was mortified.

So here we were Friday bringing home another "friend!" Yay! After I hid all the candles, matches and heating elements I took a breath. Cam had a blast.

And we survived. Even Bamboo :)



No comments: