Tuesday, May 24, 2011

What is for Dinner

It is a family joke that we can never figure out what to eat for dinner if we have just eaten. So I always try to figure it out first thing in the morning. There are always a couple options. What I want and what we'll end up actually having. Sometimes on awesome days, they are one in the same, but a lot of days they are not :) It all depends on what recipe I have fixated on at the moment and what I have in the house food wise.

I have a terrible obsession with cooking magazines. The way some people dream of vacations and other exciting things to do, I think about food. I flip excitedly through each page over and over. As if it is the Sears Catalog the month before Christmas. I am so completely content at these moments that I feel lucky to be so easily entertained:)  This is a gift bestowed upon me by amazing women in my life. My mom Sandy, and her mother my Nana.

From my earliest memories we were always cooking and eating, or planning what to cook and eat. My Nana, a Hungarian brought food into my life full of rich flavors and history. Mostly of her family who was a family of 11 and very poor. Listening to how they made something out of nothing most nights, but still always had enough to eat, inspires me daily to make the most out of my pantry and fridge. My mom on the other hand, is inventive and an amazing cook. Everyday one of us calls or texts the other and asks "what are you having for dinner?"

Since I got married almost 10 years ago Mom has sat on the phone many a night, walking me through what to do while I cook. She is the reason I love to cook. She showed me how it isn't just about feeding yourself. Food can feed your soul. It brings people together and in our family thanks to her good food we come together often :) Every family dinner or gathering we all contribute, so every meal is a collaboration of each part of our family and the meal is always a outward sign of our inward love of being together. Have you seen Simply Irresistible? If not you must! You'll  understand the correlation when you do :)

Thank you mama!
So what IS for dinner?

No comments: