Sunday, November 27, 2011

Leftovers

So I am sure that you have all had your fill of turkey sandwiches and leftovers in general. But if you are like my family that starts to lose its luster pretty quickly. A turkey sandwich is great for lunch but I start to crave something totally different for dinner. So here's what you do. Take anything that you would use chicken for, and sub in your leftover turkey.

Think- turkey enchiladas, turkey chili, turkey noodle soup. BBQ Ranch chicken salad with turkey instead. I even brought my favorite football appetizer- Franks Red Hot Buffalo Chicken Dip with turkey instead to our Apple Cup Party last night. See below. Tonight we are having pulled pork but we are having it with leftover mashed potatoes. I HATE leftover mashed potatoes as is, so I decided to treat them like Twice Baked Potatoes. I mixed them with sour cream, shredded cheese and leftover bacon from breakfast. Any bacon even bacon bits work as well. I just threw everything in a bowl and mixed well with a little salt and pepper and then put them into a pie plate in the oven to reheat. I am excited.
I figure this weekend is a lost cause at this point as it is. So I may as well go for the gusto. Bring on the food. Strength training should be awesome tomorrow.

Here is my recipe for the Frank's Red Hot Dip. You can also find it on their website but I do it a little differently. Thanks MB for the recipe all those summers ago. It's a fam favorite now :) Caution- NOT LOW FAT! Proceed :) This is a great tailgate or football watching recipe.

1 (8oz) Cream Cheese
1/2 cup Blue Cheese or Ranch
1/2 cup of blue cheese crumbles
1/2 cup or more to taste Frank's Red Hot
A couple handfuls (or however much you want) of shredded cheese. I use Cheddar but you can use anything even mozzarella or Monterey Jack.
2 cups at least of chicken (or turkey:)

Again different from the original recipe, I don't put it into a baking dish, I put it into my little dipper Crockpot. I like to make a double recipe to fill it up and then keep it hot while we eat it. I serve it with tortilla chips. Three Brands I recommend are

 Cabo Loco Tortilla Chips (I have found them for sure at QFC)

Juanita's I think I have seen them at Fred Meyer for sure at Central Market.

Penny's Salsa Tortilla Chips-  Couldn't find a pic but look for them around town. They are delicious also. And if all else fails Tostitos or Santitas are always an option. I will try to get my pictures of the dip off my camera tomorrow. Night Night




No comments: