Friday, June 8, 2012

Delaney...killing me slowly :)

After a CRAZY afternoon yesterday...Without going into a ton of gnarly details...Let's just say we are ALL ready for Summer Vacation (though my readiness borders somewhat on terror as well;) Anyways. I was READY for bedtime (their's not mine) last night. Over-bad attitudes, temper tantrums and short fuses, mine included. So you can imagine how psyched I was when Delaney came downstairs 20 minutes AFTER bedtime, holding her homework, that I had reminded her several times during the evening to do. The better lesson would probably have been to say no and make her not do it because she missed the boat, but she didn't give me much choice when she sat at the counter in front of me and started doing it without my approval. truth be told, I was over fighting. When she finally turned her Spelling paper to me, for me to test her...it took everything in me not to start laughing. But I was so irritated still, I decided to use it to my advantage. Check it out;)




Here is how her spelling test proceeded.
#1 Asked- I ASKED you to do you homework 5 hours ago- Asked
-Envision an 8 year old doing some MAJOR eye rolling at this point:) Oh I wasn't stopping there...
#2 Told- I TOLD you to do it right when you got home! Told
#3 Shouted- I SHOUTED at you because I was so frustrated that you didn't listen to me. Shouted
#4 Exclaimed- Why is it, you EXCLAIMED, YOU HAD TO DO YOUR HOMEWORK after I had put you to bed?!? Exclaimed
#5 Yelled- I only YELLED at you because I was SO tired of asking you do finish your homework!!! Yelled
#6 Said- You SAID you didn't feel like doing it, now you do??!?! Said
#7 Important- It is IMPORTANT to do your homework in a timely manner- Important
#8 Interest- it is in your best INTEREST to just get your DARN HOMEWORK DONE!!!- Interest
#9 Famous- Even becoming a FAMOUS artist requires you to DO YOUR HOMEWORK! Famous
#10 Generous- You have a very GENEROUS mother to let you do your homework so late in the evening. Generous
#11 Fabulous- You are entirely too FABULOUS to be pulling this nonsense! Fabulous
#12 Summer- If you want to enjoy your vacation this SUMMER, you better get your act together!!! Summer

You can imagine that by this point she was very much regretting putting off her homework :) Serves her right, being such a pill all afternoon! Felt like someone knew that we needed those spelling words...haha :)

I mean it. Summer is joy laced in anxiety for me. I LOVE IT but I also LOATHE it at times, the "I'm bored's" and the "theres nothing to do's" that follow shortly after school gets out. I think that perhaps when those arise I will just hand them a spelling test. Perhaps it will include words like:

1) CHORES
2) CONSEQUENCES
3) CLEANING
4) HOME SCHOOL
5) WEEDING
6) VACUUM

Who am I kidding :) I talk a big game but I did threaten to have them follow me around for the first day of Summer Break to help me do EVERYTHING I do on a normal day :) Just so they get some idea of what all that is. I just might. But truth be told. I want them to have fun, explore, be kids, and have a great break!

Don't worry I'll keep you up to date as things progress. I keep hearing things like "Gosh I was having a crazy day and then I talk to you and I feel better." Thanks I think?! :) So that's what I'm here for a healthy dose of perspective...Happy to be of service : >

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: