Sunday, October 14, 2012

Pot Roast

What is it about the rain and the wind and the leaves blowing that makes me crave...MASHED POTATOES! After waking up on this blustery Fall morning, I was perusing Facebook, when I noticed my friend had posted that her Pot Roast dinner was in the crockpot...and it got me thinking...Craving actually!

Pot roast and mashed potatoes...YUM! I was imagining how the aroma would waft through our house. Creeping up the stairs, and into every nook and cranny. I could almost feel the happy, warm, fullness in my belly. My thoughts drifted to visions of happy kids, spooning every bite happily into their mouths. Begging for more! A lovely dinner, had by all. But alas, it was all of 10am :)

We had a date as a family to clean the garage, so a trip to the store wasn't on my to do list. I had no pot roast cut of beef, but I did have a Tri-tip roast. So...called my mom (had to get the go ahead, that a Tri-tip would suffice:) then got to work. Had a bag of carrots, plenty of onion, and coincidentally a brand new box of beef stock I had accidentally opened thinking it was chicken broth yesterday.

Here is what I used:



1 Tri-tip roast
1 onion (chopped to your liking)
1 cube of frozen garlic
2 bay leaves
Just about 3/4 of a cup of red wine, give or take a little
32 oz. of beef broth
Chopped carrots (I used 6 I think)
Fresh Thyme and Parsley
Smoked paprika just a few shakes
Salt and pepper


First things first, I started cooking onion in some olive oil. Just getting it nice and soft, translucent and then a bit browned. I threw in the roast and seared it. I did NOT cook it, just a quick turn for some color. Something I heard from Carla Hall last year at the Taste of Tulalip cooking demo... "There is flavor in the brown." :) I love that!



Then I threw it in the crockpot and added the rest of my stuff. I tossed in the carrots, the wine, the broth, bay leaves, garlic, a few shakes of my smoked paprika, just for flava :) and then added some fresh chopped parsley, and a little bunch of fresh thyme. I had already tossed in a 1/2 tsp of dried, but decided to float a small bunch of fresh. You can see the thyme pretty clearly. The parsley was not a full handful. Maybe half a handful, chopped. Then I let it sit and sit and sit.


It was on high from about 10:30am, until 4pm. Then I turned it to low. You need to decide what is best for you and your crockpot. Mine cooks SUPER hot. It was at a boil at 4 when I checked it. By then all my day dreams were coming true. Lifting the lid, the smells filled my nose and my heart was happy :)

By 7 when we were ready to eat, it was falling apart. Joe used our meat cleaver (not sure why) to pull it apart. Perhaps that's the manly way to do it :) Though it was SO tender!



Now we are in training, Joe and I, for a half marathon coming up in December. I knew we needed (ok I needed) mashed potatoes to eat happily :) But as I said we had a date to clean the garage and run training meant we had a longer run to get in. So I did what any self sufficient busy mom would do...I called my mommy!

Growing up my mom made mashed potatoes, I could swear she made them once a week. Happily the case for me. I have brought myself up to be a decent cook, but for some reason I cannot make mashed potatoes that ever come close to my mamas. So although I was somehow on top of my dinner, with all my garage cleaning and running I knew potatoes were going to be tough. SO Thank you Mommy :) Not only did she watch our kids while we ran but she had piping hot mashers waiting for us when I picked them up! Now that's love! Here they are all silky and beautiful!



Long story...still kind of long :) Dinner was delish! Hit the spot and was everything I hoped for. I love when you want something so bad and it turns out just how you hoped. Well almost...The kids... well Delaney, said it was not good (gasp!) I don't take it personal any more. She says that even when I make her favorite meal. It's a phase right!?!?!


It is that time of year. So here's to tummy warming, tongue tickling delicacies!
enJOY!!!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad